Learning how to drive is more than a rite of initiation during your high school years. It is how to gain independence from your parents. But keep in mind that it’s a privilege and a responsibility. Instead of waiting for your parents to hand over the keys, take charge and show that you’re ready to start driving.
Here are some things you can do to get started:
- Learn how to apply for a temporary permit in your state.
- Find out when and where you can sign up for driver’s education.
- Study driving rules and take any questions you have to a parent or Learning Coach.
- Find out what you’ll need in order to prepare for the driving test.
- Ask a parent or Learning Coach to help you practice driving.
- Decide how to fit driving practice into your schedule.
In some states, Connections Academy® offers a driver’s education course, which helps to prepare you for local requirements and driving exams. The course covers traffic rules and signs, accident avoidance, the Highway Transportation System, and more. Make sure you have a talk with your parents or Learning Coach about driving to see whether they think you’re ready to get started.