Frequently Asked Questions About Washington Connections Academy

To get the information you need from our Washington online school FAQs, click on one of the questions listed below.

Who is eligible to attend Washington Connections Academy (WACA)

WACA serves students residing in Washington who are entering grades K–12. 

What kind of technology does my family need to participate?

Families enrolling in WACA should visit the hardware and connectivity page for full details.

Does Connections Academy provide services and accommodations for students with disabilities?

For students with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) Connections Academy provides a continuum of virtual special education services that include consultation, curriculum accommodation and modification, collaboration with learning coaches and general education teachers, and virtual direct instruction. Connections Academy provides students with IEPs with related services, which may include virtual speech language and virtual occupational therapy, as determined by the IEP team. For eligible students with disabilities who do not require special education, Connections Academy develops (as needed) and implements Section 504 plans that detail appropriate accommodations and modifications.

Is in-person attendance required?

In-person attendance is not required, but weekly direct contact with a certified teacher is required. In addition, there are many opportunities to meet teachers and other students at Washington Connections Academy through in-person, student centered events and field trips. These activities are optional for students and require a designated adult to be in attendance.

As noted in the School Handbook, regular communication between students and teachers is critical to student success in this virtual school. Therefore, each student enrolled in WACA must have, at minimum, one direct personal contact with a teacher once a school week until the student completes all course objectives or otherwise meets the requirements of the learning plan. Where appropriate, the teacher will also contact the student’s parent. Weekly contact forms include but may not be limited to:

  • Telephone
  • LiveLesson
  • In person

Throughout the school year, teachers will be available to students during regular school hours to answer questions and provide assistance.

What is a Choice Transfer Form and does it need to be re-submitted each year?

Students in Washington State have the right to attend a nonresident school district in accordance with RCW 28A.225.220 through 28A.225.230 for the purposes of attending an online school. To enroll in an online program, a Choice Transfer form must be submitted to the resident district annually. This form must be submitted when applying for enrollment at WACA. Students who do not have a form on file with their resident school district will not be allowed to enroll in Washington Connections Academy.

Does Washington Connections Academy participate in the Running Start Program?

We do not participate in the Running Start Program at this time.

Read Additional Connections Academy FAQs