High school students can read a variety of texts including novels, classic literature, graphic novels, nonfiction books, etc. So, Learning Coaches can find a wide variety of texts from which to choose. Students could even practice their inference skills on song lyrics.
At this level, Learning Coaches could encourage students to relate their inferences to large contexts, such as society, culture, and worldviews. Some questions to ask students as they read and reflect on texts include:
- Why do you think the author wrote this story?
- What does this story say about the human condition?
- How is [a character] made to seem [adjective—such as mysterious or coy]?
- What emotions are in [a scene]? How does the author create those emotions?
- Which character do you relate to the most and why?