Girl sniling working on a laptop

Nevada Connections Academy Enrollment Checklist for the 2020-21 School Year

Thank you for considering Nevada Connections Academy for your child's education. Many families have found our online school program to be a better fit for their students. The information on this page will help you prepare for enrollment.

Get Prepared icon

Get Prepared for Enrollment

Do you have everything you need? Because Connections Academy is a public school, parents must submit state-required information and documentation for each student. You will save time and enrollment will go more smoothly if you are prepared!

Use the Enrollment Checklist below to gather the documents you will need. The checklist lists your state's requirements, plus tips to help you find documents you may not have. Once you have your documents ready, it’s easy to create an account and complete the enrollment forms in Connexus®, our online system.

Nevada Virtual School Eligibility Requirements

You must meet specific state and program requirements to attend Nevada Connections Academy. Student eligibility requirements for virtual schools in Nevada are determined by the Nevada State Board of Education, which is the authorizing body for Nevada Connections Academy. Before enrolling, review the Nevada virtual school eligibility requirements carefully to determine whether your student(s) is eligible to participate in grades 9–10.

Students who are currently expelled from their local school or district may not be eligible to enroll.

What Documents to Have Ready

Please have the following documents available and ready to upload to Connexus.

Required Documents

The documents below are required for enrollment in Nevada Connections Academy. Please submit or transfer information from the following:

Proof of age icon

Child's Official Birth Certificate

A copy of one of the following documents must be provided for every student to verify age eligibility. To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of this document along with your enrollment documents.

  • Official birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Military ID or Driver’s License
  • Tribal affiliation card
  • Green card

To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of one of these official documents along with your enrollment documents. If you do not have either of these documents, please contact the enrollment team at 800-382-6010 to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Not Sure Where to Get That?

As a reminder, the age eligibility is as follows:

  • Maximum Age: General education students must be under twenty-one (21) on or before September 30 of the school year to be allowed to attend that year. Students eighteen (18) or older who have not been continually enrolled may not be admitted. Special education students must be twenty-two (22) on September 30 to continue to be enrolled for the school year.

Proof of icon

Proof of Residence (1 form)

A copy of ONE of the following documents must be provided to verify your legal residence. If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the Enrollment Team to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Not Sure What is Accepted as Proof?

  • Utility bill
    Acceptable documents include: gas, electric, water, sewage, cable, home phone, internet, or propane oil delivery bill from the last 60 days that includes your name and service address.
  • Mortgage statement from the last 60 days or annual lease agreement
  • Property tax statement
  • Property deed
  • Recent receipt from the last 60 days
  • Valid Nevada driver's license
  • Letter from a government agency from the last 60 days
  • If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the enrollment team at 800-382-6010 to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Proof of immunization icon

Child’s Proof of Immunization

All students enrolling in Nevada Connections Academy students must provide evidence of their immunizations, as required by the State of Nevada, to be eligible for enrollment. Please submit the dates of the student's immunizations on either a State of Nevada official Immunization Form (please see the Immunize Nevada webpage titled "Where to Get Immunizations" for more information), a current immunization booklet, official school record, or the Connections Academy Immunization form, which can be found in your enrollment documents on Connexus.

These forms must be stamped or signed by a health care provider.

Nevada WebIZ is a confidential, online computer system used in the State of Nevada to keep track of immunizations. If you need to know which immunizations you or someone in your family needs, this information is available on the Nevada WebIZ website.

Parents and legal guardians can also print official immunization records for their child(ren) (ages 0 through 17- years-old) and adults (ages 18 years and over) can print official immunization records for themselves. This is an official record and can be used as proof of immunization for school.

Not Sure What Immunizations Are Required?

For a complete listing of immunizations required by the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services, view the Nevada’s School Immunization Requirements webpage.

Students are required to be immunized against the following diseases per the CDC guidelines:

  • Diphtheria, Pertussis, & Tetanus (Students entering 7th grade must have 1 Tdap vaccination)
  • 7th grade Tdap booster
  • 7th grade MCV 4
  • Polio
  • Hepatitis B
  • Hepatitis A
  • MMR
  • Varicella (unless exposed)
Where Can I Get Immunizations for My Student?

Immunizations can be obtained from doctor’s offices, clinics (including Community Health Centers and Nevada Health Centers), or hospitals. Pediatricians and family doctors or their nurses or medical assistants can give your student the shots they need to meet the requirements for school enrollment. In addition, some large chain pharmacies offer immunizations for older children and adults.

What if I Need Assistance Paying for Vaccines?

If you need assistance paying for shots/vaccinations, you may be able to get free or reduced immunizations through this program:

  • Vaccines for Children (VFC) program is a federally funded program that provides vaccines at no cost to children who might not otherwise be vaccinated because of inability to pay. Children who are eligible for VFC vaccines are entitled to receive pediatric vaccines that are recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. More information is available at the Nevada State Health Division website.
Immunization Exemptions

A student may be exempt from immunizations for the following reasons: medical exemption or religious exemption. Please use the Connections Academy Immunization/Exemption form if requesting an exemption (which can be found in your enrollment documents in Connexus).

  • Medical Exemption: If the medical condition of a child will not permit the child to be immunized, a written statement of this fact must be provided and signed by both a licensed physician and by the parents or guardian of the child. A Connections Academy Immunization/Exemption form (which can be found in your enrollment documents in Connexus) must be completed and signed by the child’s physician.
  • Religious Beliefs: If the parents or guardians hold religious beliefs which preclude receipt of a vaccination(s), a Connections Academy Immunization/Exemption form (which can be found in your enrollment documents in Connexus) must be completed and signed by the parent or guardian with all information completely supplied, including the vaccines being waived. An updated waiver must be presented each year the child’s immunization status is reported.

Important Documents

Academic Records icon

Prior Academic Records

All students who have previously attended public school, private school, or homeschool are eligible to enroll and will be requested to submit academic records for placement.

  • Report Card
    For students applying for 9th grade: Please submit a copy of the report card from the most recent school year.

    The following items should be included on the report card:
    • Student Name
    • Grade Level
    • School Year (example: 2019–20)
    • School Name
    • Grading Scale (example: 90–100%=A)
  • Unofficial Transcript
    For students applying for 10th grade: Submit an unofficial transcript that includes the complete end-of-year grades from the prior school year and any academic documentation (such as a progress report/interim report, class schedule, or marking period/semester report card) issued for the current school year. Additional documentation may be requested for placement.

    The following items should be included on the unofficial transcript:
    • Student Name
    • Grade Level
    • School Year (example: 2019–20)
    • School Name
    • Grading Scale (example: 90–100%=A)
    • Credits Earned
Not Sure How to Get Your Child’s Report Card or Transcript?

  • Contact your student's previous school and request the document, providing them with the information outlined above, OR contact your school's district office with the request.

If after attempting these steps you still cannot obtain your student's report card or transcript, please contact the academic placement services team at 800-382-6010 to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Have Your Child(ren) Been Formerly Homeschooled?

  • Prior Academic History Form
    For homeschooled students in 9th-10th grade: Complete the Prior Academic History Form indicating what courses were completed through a homeschool curriculum. This form will be available to you in Connexus.

Other Documents for Special Circumstances

Though not applicable to all families, please submit the documentation requested if the information below is specific to your student.

Other Documents icon

Other Documentation

You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:

  • Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.
  • Gifted documentation: If you are requesting any Gifted and Talented programs, you will need to submit formal Gifted documentation which may include a letter or form from the previous school indicating student qualifies or is eligible for gifted courses, gifted report card, and/or gifted evaluation results. This document is required for Gifted and Talented course placement. Also, please have your student complete the appropriate skills assessments which can be found on your Caretaker Homepage in the Documents and Forms section.

Ready to Enroll?

Once you have all of the required documentation (outlined above), you are ready to proceed with enrollment in Nevada Connections Academy.

Problems or Questions?

If you have any concerns or questions, our enrollment team is here to help. Please call us at 800-382-6010.

Nevada Connections Academy admits students and conducts all educational programs, activities, and employment practices without discrimination on the basis of sex, race, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, creed, sexual orientation, disability, or any other legally protected classification.