Personalized Learning for Your Student
Connections Academy® helps online school students maximize their potential. Each student benefits from having an individualized learning plan as part of our Personalized Performance Learning® approach. Teachers, school counselors, and other staff work with the family to set goals and develop a focused, individualized learning plan that’s customized to ensure academic growth.
Here are just a few of the ways we collaborate with you to develop your student’s learning plan for success in online school:
- Reviewing student background and academic history: Teachers, Learning Coaches, and students discuss student strengths, skills, and previous school performance to help inform and guide the best teaching and personalized online learning approach.
- Evaluating test performance: When beginning online school, students are tested in math, reading, and English/language arts. A student’s test results help us identify areas of strength and weakness, measure progress, and establish learning goals. The assessment used may vary by school, due to state or board requirements.
- Setting Goals: Teachers and Learning Coaches work together to set goals for the student’s personal and academic growth and to determine a timeline for accomplishing these individualized learning goals during the school year.
My favorite thing about online school is how the school focuses on each child and how they are best able to learn. I am so very glad that we enrolled our son.
Adapting to Students’ Changing Needs
Personalizing a student’s learning program isn’t a one-time process; it’s ongoing. When school starts, students, Learning Coaches or parents, and teachers establish a regular communications schedule so they can check in throughout the year. The following are examples of the ongoing process to keep students doing their best:
- Incorporating regular evaluation: In addition to lessons and other schoolwork, testing at the beginning, middle, and end of each school year is used as a comparative benchmark for student progress.
- Monitoring special needs supports:If your child has an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or 504 plan, our special education team will work with you to monitor and communicate about your child’s goals.
- Providing Strategic, individualized lessons and attention: When students struggle, we can quickly develop interventions to get the student back on track. Teachers may modify instruction, provide ways to practice skills, offer resources, or work with a student in a small group or one-on-one.
- Scheduling modifications and electives (K–8): Throughout the year, teachers check in with the family and adjust the student’s online learning schedule or add an elective, as needed.
As a result of this ongoing communication and collaboration, teachers at Connections Academy schools may get to know the entire family well. Often, the bonds that teachers build with their students are deep and strong. These relationships enable teachers to make meaningful, life-changing connections with their students.