South Carolina Connections Academy Online School Enrollment Checklist for the 2019-20 School Year

Thank you for considering South Carolina Connections Academy for your child's education. Many families have found our online school program to be a better fit for their students. The information on this page will help you learn how to enroll in online school.

Get Prepared icon

Get Prepared for Enrollment

Do you have everything you need to sign up for online school? Because Connections Academy is a public school, parents must submit state-required information and documentation for each student. You will save time and enrollment will go more smoothly if you are prepared!

Use the Enrollment Checklist below to gather the documents you will need. The checklist lists your state's requirements, plus tips to help you find documents you may not have. Once you have your documents ready, it’s easy to create an account and complete the enrollment forms in Connexus®, our online system.

Students who are currently expelled from school, are up for expulsion, or are assigned to an alternative school in place of expulsion are not eligible to enroll. Also, students who have more than ten (10) unexcused absences or who have been out of school for more than ten (10) days are not eligible to enroll in online school. Students who were previously homeschooled are required to have maintained membership in a homeschool association or had approval of the local school district for the duration of the homeschool period.

What Documents to Have Ready

Please have the following documents available and ready to upload toConnexus:

Required Documents
The documents beloware required for enrollment in South Carolina Connections Academy. Please submit or transfer information from the following:

Proof of age icon

Child's Proof of Age

A copy of one of the following documents must be provided for every student to verify age eligibility.

  • Official birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Hospital certificate
  • Military ID
  • School records from previous school
  • Government Document with birth date
  • Medical Records
  • Student's Driver's License

To avoid unnecessary delays,provide a copy of one of these official documents along with your enrollment documents. If you do not have either of these documents, please contact the Enrollment Team at 800-382-6010 to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Not Sure Where to Get That?

Age Limitations
  • Kindergarten: Any student enrolling in kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which you are enrolling.
  • First Grade: Any student enrolling in first grade must be six (6) years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which you are enrolling.
  • Maximum Age: Any student who turns twenty-one (21) years old on or before September 1 will not be eligible to enroll in South Carolina Connections Academy.

Proof of residence icon

Proof of Residence (1 form)

A copy of one of the following documents must be provided to verify your legal residence. If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the enrollment team to discuss acceptable alternatives:

Not Sure What is Accepted as Proof?

  • Utility bill
    Acceptable Documents Include: water, electric, cable, home or cell phone, internet, or gas bill that is dated within the last 90 days and includes your name and service address.
  • Mortgage statement from the last 90 days or signed annual lease agreement
  • South Carolina driver's license
  • Property tax statement
  • Letter from a government agency dated within the last 90 days
  • Letter from your landlord that is signed and dated
  • Bank statement

Proof of immunization icon

Child’s Proof of Immunization

All South Carolina Connections Academy students must provide evidence of their immunizations with a copy of the South Carolina Certificate of Immunization (DHEC Form 1148 or 2740) or a Religious Exemption (DHEC form 1126) to enroll.Signature requiredThese forms must be signed by a health care provider.

Contact numbers for county public health departments can be found on theSouth Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control website.

Not Sure What Immunizations Are Required?

Where Can I Get Immunizations for My Student?

Immunizations can be obtained from doctor’s offices, clinics, or hospitals. Pediatricians and family doctors or their nurses or medical assistants can give your student the shots they need to meet the requirements for school enrollment. In addition, some large chain pharmacies offer immunizations for older children and adults.

What if I Need Assistance Paying for Vaccines?

If you need assistance paying for shots/vaccinations, you may be able to get free or reduced immunizations through this program:

  • Vaccines for Children (VFC) program is a federally funded program that provides vaccines at no cost to children who might not otherwise be vaccinated because of inability to pay. Children who are eligible for VFC vaccines are entitled to receive pediatric vaccines that are recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.
Immunization Exemptions

  • Medical Exemption: South Carolina state law recognizes exemptions to immunization for medical contraindications as determined by a licensed healthcare provider. Only an individual licensed to practice medicine, surgery, or osteopathy or his/her representative may issue a certificate of medical exemption to immunization. Only the South Carolina Certificate of Immunization (DHEC 1148 or 2740) meets both the certification and the medical exemption regulations (SC Regulation 61-8).
  • Religious Exemptions: A religious exemption may be granted to any student whose parents, parent, guardian, or person in loco parentis signs and has notarized the appropriate section (Statement of Religious Objection) of the South Carolina Certificate of Religious Exemption. The South Carolina Certificate of Religious Exemption may only be obtained at a county public health department. Forms cannot be e-mailed or mailed.

Important Documents

Academic Records icon

Prior Academic Records

All students who have previously attended public school, private school, or homeschool are eligible to enroll in online school and will be requested to submit academic records for placement.

  • Report Card
    For students applying for grades K–9: Please submit a copy of the report card from the most recent school year.

    The following items should be included on the report card:
    • Student Name
    • Grade Level
    • School Year (example: 2018–19)
    • School Name
    • Grading Scale (example: 90–100%=A)
  • Unofficial Transcript
    For students applying for grade 10-12: Submit an unofficial transcript that includes the complete end-of-year grades from the prior school year and any academic documentation (such as a progress report/interim report, class schedule, or marking period/semester report card) issued for the current school year. Additional documentation may be requested for placement.

    The following items should be included on the unofficial transcript:
    • Student Name
    • Grade Level
    • School Year (example: 2018–19)
    • School Name
    • Grading Scale (example: 90–100%=A)
    • Credits Earned
Not Sure How to Get Your Child’s Report Card or Transcript?

  • Contact your student's previous school and request the document, providing them with the information outlined above, OR contact your school's district office with the request.

If after attempting these steps you still cannot obtain your student's report card or transcript, please contact the academic placement services team at800-382-6010 to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Have Your Child(ren) Been Formerly Homeschooled?

  • Prior Academic History Form
    For homeschooled students in grades K–12: Complete the Prior Academic History Form indicating what courses were completed through a homeschool curriculum. This form will be available to you in Connexus.

Other Documents for Special Circumstances

Though not applicable to all families, please submit the documentation requested if the information below is specific to your student.

Other Documents icon

Other Documentation

You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:

  • Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.
  • Gifted documentation: If you are requesting any Gifted and Talented programs, you will need to submit formal gifted documentation which may include your student’s South Carolina Screening/Referral/Assessment Student Profile or South Carolina Performance Task for the Identification of Gifted and Talented Students form. This document is required for Gifted and Talented course placement.
  • Special Education Documentation: If your student has had an Individualized Education Program (IEP) within the past three years, please submit the following documents. These documents are being requested in order to assist the school with providing your student a free appropriate public education (FAPE) in the least restrictive environment.
    • IEP Documentation: Please submit a copy of the most recent IEP from within the last year.
    • Supporting Evaluation Documentation: Please submit a copy of the most recent Psychological evaluation.
  • Additional Special Education Documentation:
    • IEP Exit Documentation: If your student has been formally exited from special education services, please submit a copy of the formal exit documentation.
  • Section 504 Plan: If your student has had a Section 504 plan within the past three years, please submit a copy of this document.

Ready to Enroll in Online School?

Once you have all of the required documentation (outlined above), you are ready to proceed withenrollment in South Carolina Connections Academy.

Problems or Questions?

If you have any concerns or questions about how to enroll or use our South Carolina virtual school enrollment checklist, our enrollment team is here to help.Please call us at 800-382-6010.

South Carolina Connections Academy admits students and conducts all educational programs, activities, and employment practices without discrimination on the basis of sex, race, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, creed, sexual orientation, disability, or any other legally protected classification.