Michigan Online School Options
Online school gives Michigan students a safe place to thrive and grow—excited to start each day with support from caring teachers invested in seeing them succeed at every step along the K–12 journey. We focus on your student’s academics as well as social and emotional development. Our goal is to work with Michigan families to create happy, engaged students who graduate from online school and find a fulfilling career or college path as their next step.
How does online public school work in Michigan?
Michigan students in virtual public school attend school through our online learning portal. They access lessons and coursework, complete and turn in assignments, and interact with peers. Students also meet with teachers for live, teacher-led group instruction and one-on-one, individualized attention. Parents or other caregivers play an important role in online school. They support the learning day by keeping their students motivated, accountable, and on track to succeed.
And because lessons are delivered online, students and families have more freedom to set a learning schedule that works best for them. As long as students finish lessons and coursework on time, they have more room in the day to pursue their individual skills and interests.
How is homeschooling different from Michigan’s virtual public school options?
We find the biggest difference for parents of students in online school is that they don’t have to act as the teacher. With Michigan’s online public school options, parents act as Learning Coaches—not as the main teacher. There are certified teachers who work with students. They teach in live, online lessons and provide and tailor the curriculum to give each student a personalized learning plan.
Are parents involved in their child’s online school experience?
Parent involvement is at the heart of an online student’s school success. That’s why parents or other caregivers participate as Learning Coaches. Each day, parents make sure that their student is logged in, engaged in coursework, turning in assignments, and when needed, Learning Coaches reach out to teachers with questions or concerns.
Lighthouse Connections Academy
- Enrolls students in grades K–12.
- Provides live, teacher-led instruction in group and one-on-one settings.
- Offers a safe, supportive way to attend school from home for Michigan students.
- Supported by Connections Education LLC, dba Pearson Online & Blended Learning, which is accredited by Cognia (formerly AdvancED), and authorized through a Charter Contract by Oxford Community Schools.
Michigan Connections Academy
- Serves students in grades K–12.
- Caring teachers lead live, online instruction.
- Has a welcoming online school community that helps students lean into learning.
- Authorized through a Charter Contract by Ferris State University and supported by Connections Education, LLC, which is accredited by Cognia (formerly AdvancED).