Young boy wearing headphones while on a laptop

Minnesota Connections Academy Virtual School Enrollment Checklist for the 2021-22 School Year

Thank you for considering Minnesota Connections Academy for your child's education. Many families have found our online school program to be a better fit for their students. The information on this page will help you learn how to enroll in online school.

Get Prepared icon

Get Prepared for Enrollment Information

Do you have everything you need to sign up for online school? Because Connections Academy is a public school, parents must submit state-required information and documentation for each student. You will save time and enrollment will go more smoothly if you are prepared!

Use the Enrollment Checklist below to gather the documents you will need. The checklist lists your state's requirements, plus tips to help you find documents you may not have. Once you have your documents ready, it’s easy to create an account and complete the enrollment forms in Connexus®, our online system.

Minnesota Online School Eligibility Requirements

You must meet specific state and program requirements to attend Minnesota Connections Academy. Student eligibility requirements in Minnesota are determined by the Minnesota Transition Charter Board, which is the authorizing body for Minnesota Connections Academy. Before enrolling, carefully review the Minnesota online school eligibility requirements to determine whether your student(s) is eligible to participate in grades K–12.

Students who have been or are currently suspended or expelled from their local school or district may not be eligible to enroll.

What Documents to Have Ready

Please have the following documents available and ready to upload to Connexus:

Required Documents
The documents below are required for enrollment in Minnesota Connections Academy. Please submit or transfer information from the following:

Proof of age icon

Child's Proof of Age

A copy of one of the following documents must be provided for every student to verify age eligibility.

  • Official birth certificate
  • Tribal Affiliation card
  • U.S. Passport
  • Adoption Record
  • Baptismal Papers
  • Custody Order
  • Green Card
  • Military ID or Student Driver’s License
  • Hospital Certificate
  • Certificate of Live birth

To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of one of these official documents along with your enrollment documents. If you do not have either of these documents, please contact the Enrollment Team at 800-382-6010 to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Not Sure Where to Get That?

As a reminder, the age eligibility is as follows:

  • Kindergarten: Any student enrolling in kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which he or she is enrolling.
  • First Grade: Any student enrolling in first grade must be six (6) years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which he or she is enrolling.
  • Maximum Age: Any student who turns twenty-one (21) years old on or before September 1 will not be eligible to enroll in Minnesota Connections Academy.

Proof of residence icon

Proof of Residence (1 form)

You must reside in the state of Minnesota and provide acceptable proof of residency to be eligible for enrollment in Minnesota Connections Academy. There are many verifiable forms of documentation, which are detailed below. Items marked with an asterisk (*) must be dated within the last 60 days.

Not Sure What is Accepted as Proof?

  • A residential utility bill (gas, electric, sewage, or water) in the resident's (parent or guardian) name and service address*
  • Mortgage statement* or annual lease agreement
  • Property tax statement
  • Driver's License or state issue ID
  • Cable Bill*
  • Internet Bill*
  • Letter from Government Agency*
  • Rent receipt*
  • Banking statement*
  • Voter registration card
  • Trash bill*
  • Payroll stub*
  • Vehicle Registration
  • If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the enrollment team at 800-382-6010 to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Important Documents

Academic Records icon

Prior Academic Records

All students who have previously attended public school, private school, or homeschool are eligible to enroll in online school and will be requested to submit academic records for placement.

  • Report Card
    For students applying for grades K–9: Please submit a copy of the report card from the most recent school year.

    The following items should be included on the report card:
    • Student Name
    • Grade Level
    • School Year (example: 2020–21)
    • School Name
    • Grading Scale (example: 90–100%=A)
  • Unofficial Transcript
    For students applying for grades 10–12: Submit an unofficial transcript that includes the complete end-of-year grades from the prior school year and any academic documentation (such as a progress report/interim report, class schedule, or marking period/semester report card) issued for the current school year. Additional documentation may be requested for placement.

    The following items should be included on the unofficial transcript:
    • Student Name
    • Grade Level
    • School Year (example: 2020–21)
    • School Name
    • Grading Scale (example: 90–100%=A)
    • Credits Earned
Not Sure How to Get Your Child’s Report Card?

  • Contact your student's previous school and request the document, providing them with the information outlined above, OR contact your school's district office with the request.

If after attempting these steps you still cannot obtain your student's report card, please contact the academic placement services team at 800-382-6010 to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Have Your Child(ren) Been Formerly Homeschooled?

  • Prior Academic History Form
    For homeschooled students in grades K–12: Complete the Prior Academic History Form indicating what courses were completed through a homeschool curriculum.

Other Documents for Special Circumstances

Though not applicable to all families, please submit the documentation requested if the information below is specific to your student.

Other Documents icon

Other Documentation

You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:

  • Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.
  • Gifted Documentation:If you are requesting any Gifted and Talented programs, you will need to submit formal gifted documentation which may include a gifted IEP or EP, gifted report card, gifted testing results, or a gifted evaluation. This document is required for Gifted and Talented course placement.

Ready to Enroll in Online School?

Once you have all of the required documentation (outlined above), you are ready to proceed with enrollment in Minnesota Connections Academy.

Problems or Questions?

If you have any concerns or questions about K-12 enrollment in Minnesota online school, contact our enrollment team for additional help. Please call us at 800-382-6010.

Minnesota Connections Academy admits students and conducts all educational programs, activities, and employment practices without discrimination on the basis of sex, race, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, creed, sexual orientation, disability, or any other legally protected classification.