Michigan Connections Academy Enrollment Checklist for the 2020-21 School Year

Thank you for considering Michigan Connections Academy for your child's education. Many families have found our online school program to be a better fit for their students. The information on this page will help you prepare for enrollment.

Get Prepared icon

Get Prepared for Enrollment Information

Do you have everything you need? Because Connections Academy is a public school, parents must submit state-required information and documentation for each student. You will save time and enrollment will go more smoothly if you are prepared!

Use the Enrollment Checklist below to gather the documents you will need. The checklist lists your state's requirements, plus tips to help you find documents you may not have. Once you have your documents ready, it’s easy to create an account and complete the enrollment forms in Connexus®, our online system.

Eligibility Requirements

You must meet specific state and program requirements to attend Michigan Connections Academy. Student eligibility requirements in Michigan are determined by the Michigan Legislature and the Michigan Board of Education. Michigan Connections Academy is authorized by the Ferris State University Charter Schools Office.

Before enrolling, review the eligibility requirements carefully to determine whether your student(s) is eligible to participate in grades K–12.

Students who are currently expelled from their local school or district are not eligible to enroll.

What Documents to Have Ready

Please have the following documents available and ready to upload to Connexus:

Required Documents
The documents below are required for enrollment in Michigan Connections Academy. Please submit or transfer information from the following:

Proof of age icon

Child's Proof of Age

A copy of the official birth certificate or passport for each child must be provided to verify age eligibility. To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of this document along with your enrollment documents.

Not Sure Where to Get That?

As a reminder, the age eligibility is as follows:

  • Kindergarten: Any student enrolling in kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which you are enrolling.
  • First Grade: Any student enrolling in first grade must be six (6) years old on or before September 1 to be eligible for enrollment in Michigan Connections Academy.
  • Maximum Age: A general education student who turns twenty (20) years old on or before September 1 will not be eligible to enroll. A special education student who turns twenty-six (26) years old on or before September 1 will not be eligible to enroll.

Proof of residence icon

Proof of Residence (1 form)

A copy of ONE of the following documents must be provided to verify your legal residence. If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the Enrollment Team to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Not Sure What is Accepted as Proof?

  • Utility bill
    Acceptable documents include: gas, electric, water, sewage, garbage/trash, propane oil, or Internet bill that is dated within 60 days of the enrollment date and that includes your name and service address. *Please note: disconnect, “final notice,” or shutoff notices are not acceptable.
  • Mortgage statement from the last 60 days or current lease
  • Property tax bill
  • If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the enrollment team at 800-382-6010 to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Proof of immunization icon

Child’s Proof of Immunization

All Michigan Connections Academy students must provide evidence of their immunizations on one of the following:

  • Official Michigan state immunization form
  • Immunization booklet
  • Official school records
  • Connections Academy Immunization Form, which is a part of your enrollment documents available in Connexus

These forms must be signed or stamped by your health care provider. Only a local health department, doctor's office, or the Michigan Department of Community Health may print an official immunization record for your child.

Children born in Michigan from 1994 to the present are in the Michigan Care Improvement Registry (MCIR). MCIR is a computerized shot record for Michiganders. For answers to many FAQs, please visit the MCIR website.

Not Sure What Immunizations Are Required?

Where Can I Get Immunizations for My Student?

Immunizations can be obtained from your local health department, doctor’s offices, clinics, or hospitals. Pediatricians and family doctors or their nurses or medical assistants can give your student the shots he or she needs to meet the requirements for school enrollment. In addition, some large chain pharmacies offer immunizations for older children and adults.

What if I Need Assistance Paying for Vaccines?

If you need assistance paying for shots/vaccinations, you may be able to get free or reduced immunizations through the Michigan Vaccines for Children Program:

  • Vaccines for Children (VFC) program is a federally funded program that provides vaccines at no cost to children who might not otherwise be vaccinated because of inability to pay. Children who are eligible for VFC vaccines are entitled to receive pediatric vaccines that are recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.
Immunization Exemptions

A student may be exempt from immunizations for the following reasons: medical exemption, religious beliefs, or personal beliefs. Parents seeking immunization waivers in Michigan must have the immunization waiver certified by their local health department.

  • Medical Exemption: A valid medical contraindication exists precluding the child from receiving the vaccine. A state of Michigan "Medical Contraindication" is required to be completed and signed by the child’s physician and shall state the contraindication(s), the vaccine(s) involved, and the time period during which the child is precluded from receiving the vaccine(s).
  • Religious/Personal Exemption: The parents or guardians hold religious or philosophical beliefs which preclude receipt of a vaccination(s). A state of Michigan "Immunization Waiver" must be signed by the parent or guardian, with all information completely supplied, including the vaccines being waived. An updated waiver must be presented each year the child’s immunization status is reported.

Important Documents

Academic Records icon

Prior Academic Records

All students who have previously attended public school, private school, or homeschool are eligible to enroll and will be requested to submit academic records for placement.

  • Report Card
    For students applying for grades K–9: Please submit a copy of the report card from the most recent school year.

    The following items should be included on the report card:
    • Student Name
    • Grade Level
    • School Year (example: 2019–20)
    • School Name
    • Grading Scale (example: 90–100%=A)
  • Unofficial Transcript
    For students applying for grades 10–12: Submit an unofficial transcript that includes the complete end-of-year grades from the prior school year(s) and any academic documentation (such as a progress report/interim report, class schedule, or marking period/semester report card) issued for the current school year. Additional documentation may be requested for placement.

    The following items should be included on the unofficial transcript:
    • Student Name
    • Grade Level
    • School Year (example: 2019–20)
    • School Name
    • Grading Scale (example: 90–100%=A)
    • Credits Earned
Not Sure How to Get Your Child’s Report Card or Transcript?

  • Contact your student's previous school and request the document, providing them with the information outlined above, OR contact your school's district office with the request.

If after attempting these steps you still cannot obtain your student's report card or transcript, please contact the Academic Placement Services Team at 800-382-6010 to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Have Your Child(ren) Been Formerly Homeschooled?

  • Prior Academic History Form
    For homeschooled students in grades K–12: Complete the Prior Academic History Form indicating what courses were completed through a homeschool curriculum. This form will be available to you in Connexus.

Other Documents for Special Circumstances

Though not applicable to all families, please submit the documentation requested if the information below is specific to your student.

Other Documents icon

Other Documentation

You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:

  • Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.

Ready to Enroll?

Once you have all of the required documentation (outlined above), you are ready to proceed with virtual school enrollment in Michigan Connections Academy.

Problems or Questions?

If you have any concerns or questions about K–12 enrollment in Michigan virtual school, contact our enrollment team for additional help. Please call us at 800-382-6010.

Michigan Connections Academy admits students and conducts all educational programs, activities, and employment practices without discrimination on the basis of sex, race, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, creed, sexual orientation, disability, or any other legally protected classification.