Kansas Connections Academy Eligibility Requirements for the 2019-20 School Year
You must meet specific requirements to attend the Kansas Connections Academy school, which is established by the Kansas State Department of Education. Before enrolling, review the following eligibility requirements carefully to determine whether your student(s) is eligible to enroll in online school for grades K–12.
Note: Students who are currently expelled from their local school or district may not be eligible to enroll.
- Kindergarten: Any students enrolling in kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before August 31 in the school year for which they are enrolling.
- First Grade: Any students enrolling in first grade must be six (6) years old on or before August 31 in the school year for which they are enrolling.
- Maximum Age: Any student who turns nineteen (19) years old on or before August 1 will not be eligible to enroll in Kansas Connections Academy.
Required Documents for Enrolling in Virtual School
A copy of one of the following documents must be provided for every
student to verify age eligibility. To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a
copy of this document along with your enrollment documents.
- Official birth certificate
- Certificate of live birth
You must reside in the state of Kansas and provide acceptable proof of residency to be eligible for enrollment in Kansas Connections Academy.
A copy of one of the following documents must be provided to verify your legal residence. If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the enrollment team to discuss acceptable alternatives.
- Gas, electric, water, sewage, cable, or landline phone bill from the last 60 days that includes your name and service address.
- Mortgage statement from the last 60 days or a signed annual lease agreement
- Kansas driver's license
- Property tax statement
All Kansas Connections Academy students must provide evidence of their immunizations with a copy of the
Kansas Certificate of Immunization.
Kansas allows for medical and religious exemptions.
To receive a medical exemption, parents must provide the Kansas Certificate of Immunization exemption form signed by a health care provider.
To receive a religious exemption, parents must provide a written statement signed by one parent or guardian that the student is an adherent of a religious denomination whose religious teachings are opposed to immunizations.
See the Kansas school immunization requirements
Prior Public Schooling Limitations
All students who have previously attended public school, private school, or homeschool are eligible to enroll.
You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:
- Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.
- IEP and Evaluation: If your student has an IEP, please send a copy of the most recent IEP and a copy of the most recent evaluation documentation. These documents are being requested in order to assist the school with providing your student with a free appropriate public education (FAPE) in the least restrictive environment. The special education director at Kansas Connections Academy (KCA) will review the documents to see if KCA can meet your child’s needs virtually.
Return to Kansas Connections Academy enrollment instructions