Dear Great Lakes Learning Academy Families:
On Monday, January 16, 2023, GLLA will be transitioning to a new learning management platform and courses. This will cause the following changes to occur:
- new website for students to access classes and for parents/guardians to check their student's progress and performance in classes
- new login information for students and parents/guardians
- new "look" to the classes
- temporary lack of access to previously completed student work and grades while the system is transitioning
We had hoped to make this transition in July 2023, but due to unforeseen circumstances we had to move the timeline up to January 2023.
What’s not changing
While this transition is happening, the core of GLLA - our students, families, and staff - is not changing in any fundamental way. We still will provide all GLLA students a world class online education which is tailored to their personal post-secondary plans and interests, while maintaining our adherence to the Michigan Merit Curriculum so everyone has a common foundation of knowledge and skills. There are other important aspects of the GLLA experience which will NOT be changing in this transition, and these include the following:
- your student's Guide teacher will remain the same and be your one primary point of contact for all questions and concerns
- 24/7/365 access to classes and instructional support
- student schedules (some class names may be slightly different, but the content will be the same and be based on the Michigan Department of Education curriculum standards)
- expectations for graduation, including credits needed and specific class requirements
- our commitment to provide individualized, pro-active support for students so they can excel academically, socially, and emotionally
To use a comparison with the brick and mortar schools many of us use as a template when we think about schools, GLLA is getting a new set of textbooks and bulletin boards, but the school staff, mission, and physical location are remaining the same.
Your student's Guide teacher will have specific information regarding the new website address, logins (usernames and passwords), details of navigating the new learning platform, and be ready to support you and your student during this transition. Since the timing on this was moved up unexpectedly, they are still receiving information themselves and will be learning the new system along with you and your student(s). The entire GLLA team – faculty, staff, leadership, and the School Board - is committed to making this transition as smooth as possible for students and parents/guardians. The key requirements for success will be frequent communication with the Guide teacher, patience as we all learn a new system, and being understanding as we navigate this exciting, yet sudden, transition to our new learning management platform.
We look forward to sharing this new learning experience with you and your student!
GLLA School Board President