You must meet specific state and program requirements to attend Texas Connections Academy @ Houston. Student eligibility requirements are determined by Texas state laws, the Texas Education Agency and the Houston Independent School District. Before enrolling, review the following eligibility requirements carefully to determine whether your student(s) is eligible to participate in Texas Connections Academy @ Houston for grades 3–12.
Texas Connections Academy @ Houston does not accept students who are currently expelled from their local school or district.
To participate in Texas Connections Academy @ Houston, students must:
- Be able to perform at grades 3–12 in a Texas public school curriculum.
Prior Public Schooling Requirements
A student is eligible to enroll full-time in courses if the student:
- was enrolled in a public school in this state in the preceding school year;
been placed in substitute care in Texas, regardless of whether the
student was enrolled in a public school in this state in the preceding
school year; or
- is a dependent of a member of the United
States military; was previously enrolled in high school in this state;
and no longer resides in this state as a result of a military deployment
Prior Texas public school enrollment comprises all Texas public school options, including the tuition-based programs at Texas Tech University and University of Texas (for any number of courses). Enrollment in these programs is accepted any time before the start of fall semester, as well as summer school. For more information on eligibility, please visit the
Texas Virtual School Network Online School program page on the Texas Education Agency website.
For further information about these eligibility requirements, please call 281-661-8293, ext. 302.
Proof of Age
A copy of the student's official birth certificate must be provided to verify age eligibility. To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of the birth certificate along with your enrollment documents.
You must reside within the state of Texas and provide acceptable proof of residency to be eligible for enrollment.
A copy of one of the following documents must be provided to verify your legal residence. If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the Enrollment Team to discuss acceptable alternatives.
- Gas, electric, or water bill from the last 60 days that includes your name and service address
- Mortgage statement from the last 60 days or annual lease agreement
- Valid driver's license or state-issued ID showing current address
All students in Texas Connections Academy @ Houston must provide evidence of their immunizations on either a State of Texas official immunization form or the Connections Academy Immunization form. These forms must be stamped or signed by a health care provider.
Texas allows for medical, personal or religious exemptions. Medical exemptions must be signed by a health care provider. Please use the Connections Academy Immunization/Exemption form if requesting an exemption. Parents seeking exemption from immunizations for personal or religious reasons must request a vaccine exemption affidavit form in writing by mail,
fax (512-458-7544) or via a secure online request form from the Department of State Health Services, Immunization Branch.
Texas school immunization requirements.
Caretaker Proof of Identity
A copy of the enrolling parent/guardian's government issued photo identification card which includes the parent/guardian's name and date of birth (e.g. driver's license, state ID, passport) must be submitted along with your enrollment documents.
You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:
Return to Texas Connections Academy @ Houston Enrollment Instructions
- Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.
- IEP or Evaluation: If your student has had an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) within the past three years, please submit a copy of the most recent Admission, Review, Dismissal (ARD)/IEP Documentation. Please also submit the signed evaluation report and all eligibility reports that were completed within the last three years. The evaluation report must be current for the semester in which the student is applying to enroll. In the state of Texas, Connections Academy operates in partnership with the Houston Independent School District (HISD), which serves as our special education manager. HISD and the Director of Special Education at Texas Connections Academy review all special education documentation during the enrollment process to determine if a student's needs can be met in a virtual environment. In general, students with IEPs must be working on grade level and require minimal support or services in order to be eligible for enrollment.