Texas Connections Academy @ Houston students are required to meet specific state and program requirements. Student eligibility requirements are determined by Texas state laws, the Texas Education Agency, and the Houston Independent School District. Before enrolling, please review the following eligibility requirements carefully.
Note: Texas Connections Academy @ Houston does not accept students who are currently suspended or expelled from their local school or district.
To participate in Texas Connections Academy @ Houston, students must:
- Be able to perform at a grade 3–12 level
- Follow the Texas public school curriculum.
Prior Public Schooling Requirements
A student is eligible to enroll full-time in courses if the student:
- was enrolled in a public school, in this state, in the preceding school year;
- has been placed in substitute care in Texas, regardless of whether the student was enrolled in a public school, in this state, in the preceding school year; or
- is a dependent of a member of the United States military; was previously enrolled in high school in this state; and no longer resides in this state as a result of a military deployment or transfer.
Students who have an incomplete Disciplinary Alternative Education Placement or Juvenile Justice Alternative Educational Placement are not eligible to enroll until the disciplinary placement has been completed in a bricks-and-mortar school.
Prior Texas public school enrollment comprises all Texas public school options, including the tuition-based programs at Texas Tech University and the University of Texas (for any number of courses). Enrollment in these programs is accepted any time before the start of fall semester, as well as summer school. For more information on eligibility, please visit the Texas Virtual School Network Online School program page on the Texas Education Agency website.
To learn more about eligibility requirements, call
281-661-8293, ext. 302.
Proof of Age
A copy of one of the following documents must be provided for every student to verify age eligibility. To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of this document along with your enrollment documents.
- Official birth certificate
- Certificate of live birth
- Baptismal papers
- Custody documentation
You must reside within the state of Texas and provide acceptable proof of residency to be eligible for enrollment.
To verify your legal residence, submit a copy of one of the following documents. If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the enrollment team to discuss acceptable alternatives.
- Gas, electric, or water bill from the last 60 days that includes your name and service address
- Mortgage statement from the last 60 days or annual lease agreement
- Rent receipt
All students in Texas Connections Academy @ Houston must provide evidence of their immunizations on either a state of Texas official immunization form or the Connections Academy Immunization form. These forms must be stamped or signed by a health care provider.
Texas allows for medical, personal, or religious exemptions. Medical exemptions must be signed by a health care provider. If you are requesting an exemption, please use the Connections Academy Immunization/Exemption form.
Parents seeking exemption from immunizations for personal or religious reasons must request a vaccine exemption affidavit form in writing by mail,
fax (512-458-7544) or a secure online request form from the Department of State Health Services, Immunization Branch.
See the Texas school immunization requirements
Caretaker Proof of Identity
A copy of the enrolling parent/guardian's government-issued photo identification card which includes the parent/guardian's name and date of birth (e.g. driver's license, state ID, passport) must be submitted along with your enrollment documents.
If any of the following circumstances apply, you may need to provide additional documentation:
- Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.
- Students in Special Services: At the time of enrollment, all parents who indicate that their child has special services are required to submit a copy of the following:
= 504 evaluation and 504 Plan
= Complete annual ARD/IEP document that was completed within the last 12 months, along with any additional ARD/IEP documents held during the school year; and FIE (Full Individual Evaluation) that was completed within the last 3 years (including documentation of disability). For a student that has a REED (Review of Existing Evaluation Data) as their evaluation date, the FIE that supports that REED must be submitted too.
= Most current TELPAS score printout
The FIE (evaluation) and ARD/IEP documents must be current within the semester that the student is enrolling. If these documents need to be updated, we encourage you to work with your previous school before submitting an application. All special education documents are reviewed by TCAH special education representatives.
Return to Texas Connections Academy @ Houston Enrollment Instructions