Socialization & Community
Meet the Laystrom Family
See how one Connections Academy family stays
social while attending an online school.
Capistrano Connections Academy is all about making connections—not just to academics, but to other students and families. Because other students are part of the experience at CapoCA, your family joins a dynamic learning community where students:
- Interact with teachers and classmates in real-time, online classrooms.
- Receive one-on-one support from caring teachers through telephone sessions and our after-hours tutoring program.
- Interact with local students, as well as Connections Academy students across the country through our many exciting clubs and activities.
- Meet classmates face-to-face at school-sponsored field trips and parties.
Creating Flexibility for Extracurricular Activities
In addition to social activities within the CapoCA community, many of our students are busy with activities in their local communities. The flexibility of Connections Academy allows our students to take advantage of more extracurricular activities—often activities that the schedule of a traditional school would not accommodate.
Watch this video to see a field trip where parents
Shared their thoughts about the school. To view this
video, you will need Adobe Flash Player
Supporting Parents and Learning Coaches
Throughout the school year, our secure message boards, WebMail, and phone lines are buzzing as Learning Coaches share at-home learning tips and resources, plan field trips, or just stay “in the loop” with school activities. As a vital part of the CapoCA community, our families connect with teachers, school counselors, and other parents both online and in-person through:
- Learning Coach tutorials, orientation sessions, and LiveLesson® sessions where Learning Coaches can share tips and ask teachers questions on everything from lesson planning to navigating Connexus® to keeping their students motivated and on track.
- Secure Message Boards where CapoCA parents can post questions, tips, and resources on helping students succeed.
- Our Connections Academy Blog, Virtual Learning Connections, where CapoCA Learning Coaches find tips and information on a variety of topics for busy virtual schooling families.
Participating in the Broader Community
CapoCA believes that community service deepens our students’ understanding of the world we live in and provides an opportunity to contribute and grow. So each year our students participate in community service projects – from helping with beach clean-ups and local recycling programs to raising Pennies for Patients for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.