Socialization & Community
To view these videos, you will need
Adobe Flash Player installed.
See how one Connections Academy family stays social while
attending an online school.
Connecting Students—Creating a Community
Connections Academy is all about making connections—not just to academics, but to other students and families. Because other students are an important part of the experience at Connections Academy, your family becomes part of a dynamic learning community where students:
- Interact with teachers and classmates in real-time, online classrooms.
- Receive one-on-one support from caring teachers through telephone sessions and our after-hours tutoring program.
- Interact with local students, as well as Connections Academy students across the country through our many exciting clubs and activities.
- Meet classmates face-to-face at school sponsored field trips and parties.
Creating Flexibility for Extracurricular Activities
In addition to social activities within the Connections Academy community, many of our students are busy with activities in their local communities. The flexibility of Connections Academy allows our students to take advantage of more extracurricular activities—often activities that the schedule of a traditional school would not accommodate.
Watch this video to see a field trip where parents shared their
thoughts about the school.
Supporting Learning Coaches
Throughout the school year, our secure message boards, WebMail, and phone lines are buzzing as Learning Coaches share at-home learning tips and resources, plan field trips, or just stay “in the loop” with school activities. As a vital part of the Connections Academy community, our families connect with teachers, school counselors, community coordinators and other parents both online and in-person through:
- Open houses and Learning Coach training online and at local teaching centers.
- Secure Message Boards where parents can post questions, tips, and resources on helping students succeed.
- Our Connections Academy Blog, Virtual Learning Connections, where Learning Coaches find tips and information on a variety of topics for busy virtual schooling families.
Participating in the Broader Community
At Connections Academy, we also want our students to understand that they’re a part of a broader community. So, with help from Learning Coaches and our community coordinators, we arrange volunteer activities and participation at other community events.