Teachers Make All The Difference
Connections Academy Teachers
Learn more about Connections Academy's outstanding teaching staff.
To access this content, you will need Adobe Flash Player installed.
› Watch Now!
Teachers are as important in a virtual classroom as they are in a traditional classroom. At Connections Academy, our teachers make all the difference—they are a point of pride for our schools and instrumental in our students’ success. We are dedicated to having only the best teachers and supporting their professional development.
Dedicated and Caring
Our online school teachers are dedicated educators who are excited to work at a school where they can focus on what they do best—teaching.
Connections Academy teachers are certified, full-time professionals who are specially trained in the nuances of working effectively in a virtual classroom setting. Our teachers spend time:
Connections Academy virtual school teachers modify lessons and assignments to ensure that each student receives the right degree of challenge, or extra assistance, required to foster academic success and love of learning.
Connections Academy teachers are also actively involved in the professional education community. Our teachers are engaged contributors and leaders in their field, regularly present at national conferences such as iNACOL’s Virtual School Symposium and NAEYC’s (National Association for the Education of Young Children) annual conference.
Experienced and Collaborative
Our teachers are highly qualified and experienced professionals. Now add to this experience our teachers’ collaborative teaching approach—the result benefits students and equals success. Our teachers work closely with one another, collaborating and communicating regularly about their individual students in order to provide a seamless, outstanding educational program. Families benefit from this arrangement because our teachers are able to:
- Share tips on subject matter and teaching techniques.
- Collaborate on teaching methods that work for an individual student and share them across subject areas.
- Easily coordinate communication when multiple teachers are working with one family.
- Give families the undivided attention they deserve through greater administrative oversight and accountability.
Teacher Brings Her "A Game"
Peggy Barnholdt, 2010 Online Elementary Teacher of the Year by the Colorado Department of Education, recently wrote a blog to provide insight into how, as a virtual school educator, she brings her “A Game” for her students every day. Read her blog post.
Award-Winning and Innovative
Connections Academy teachers are setting the bar high within the virtual school community and they are being recognized for their innovation and dedication. Learn more about some of our virtual school teachers’ accomplishments and awards:
- Kelly McNally, South Carolina Connections Academy Teacher, Named Teacher of the Year by South Carolina Public Charter School District
- Peggy Barnholt, Colorado Connections Academy Teacher, Named Online Teacher of the Year by Colorado State Department of Education
- Janae Cardel, Commonwealth Connections Academy Teacher, Honored for Creativity and Innovation in Teaching by the USDLA
- Kim McConnell, Commonwealth Connections Academy Teacher, Wins Great Books Great Teacher Award
- Chaille Cummings, Colorado Connections Academy Teacher, Named Online Teacher of the Year by Colorado State Department of Education
- Diane DeBaise, Commonwealth Connections Academy Teacher, selected to join JOIDES Resolution scientific ocean drilling vessel with a team of scientists and educators.
Interested in learning more about the teachers in your state? Find your local school and visit the Our Teachers section to meet your local teachers.
Professional Development and Support
Connections Academy teachers never stop learning, so they can continue to excel at teaching. The Professional Learning Community is a virtual community created and dedicated to shared values and vision, working and learning collaboratively, shared decision making, collective creativity, and supportive and shared leadership. We are united in our commitment to student learning through collaboration in our community. The Professional Learning Community includes the following areas:
- Professional Development: Teachers get connected to the latest educational conferences, webinars, online courses, professional organizations, and research/education updates.
- Networking: Teachers are encouraged to share and collaborate with colleagues across the country.
- Best Practices: Our educators stay in the know about new products and resources, through continued collaboration and participation in regular curriculum meetings.
- School Support: Teachers stay on top of pertinent school news and announcements through weekly issues of the Teacher Update, as well as bimonthly meetings with the top curriculum development experts. This provides teachers the opportunity to provide feedback and ask questions about a variety of instructional topics.
The teachers in this school are wonderful—so caring and compassionate. I feel that they care about the students and their success from the bottom of their hearts.