Socialization & Virtual Learning Community
Meet the Laystrom Family
See how one Connections Academy family stays
social while attending an online school.
Ohio Connections Academy is all about making connections—not just to academics, but to other students and families. Because other students are part of the experience at OCA, your family becomes members in a dynamic learning community where students:
- Interact with teachers and classmates in real-time, online classrooms.
- Receive one-on-one support from caring teachers through telephone sessions and our after-hours tutoring program.
- Interact with local students, as well as Connections Academy students across the country through our many exciting clubs and activities.
- Meet classmates face-to-face at school-sponsored field trips and parties.
Creating Flexibility for Extracurricular Activities
In addition to social activities within our Ohio virtual learning community, many of our students are busy with activities in their local communities. The flexibility of Connections Academy allows our students to take advantage of more extracurricular activities—often activities that the schedule of a traditional school would not accommodate.
Also, new Ohio law allows charter school students to participate in extracurriculars in many of their resident districts. For additional information, see our FAQ page.
Watch this video to see a field trip where parents
shared their thoughts about the school. To view this
video, you will need Adobe Flash Player
Supporting Parents and Learning Coaches
Throughout the school year, our secure message boards, WebMail, and phone lines are buzzing as Learning Coaches share at-home learning tips and resources, plan field trips, or just stay “in the loop” with school activities. As a vital part of the OCA virtual learning community, our families connect with teachers, school counselors, and other parents both online and in-person through:
- Open houses at our teaching centers in Cincinnati and the Columbus area.
- Learning Coach Outreach Sessions that teach our Learning Coaches specific strategies for supporting their online learners.
- Learning Coach tutorials, orientation sessions, and LiveLesson® sessions where Learning Coaches can share tips and ask teachers questions on everything from lesson planning to navigating Connexus® to keeping their students motivated and on track.
Participating in the Broader Community
At OCA, we also want our students to understand that they’re a part of a broader community. Through Connections Academy’s national Leadership and Service Club, our students have collected food for the local food bank, volunteered for worthy causes, and collected clothes and blankets to help the earthquake victims in Haiti.