Keeping Online School Students Connected
Even in online school, Ohio Connections Academy (OCA) students are connected to a school community. They meet regularly in online LiveLesson® sessions and have opportunities to share ideas, compare experiences, and have fun learning together. Students are always able to choose the level of social interaction they’re comfortable with—whether in a Connections Academy online school club or in their own community.
OCA offers many ways for online students to meet and learn through field trips, online school clubs, and special school events. These socialization opportunities give students a chance to explore the world around them and form friendships with other students. They also help students gain social confidence, learn teamwork, and develop leadership and communication skills. And, they’re just plain fun!
Allowing Flexibility for Extracurriculars
Many students attending OCA are busy with activities in their local communities. The flexibility of the program allows students to take advantage of more extracurricular activities. We encourage every student to find and explore interests outside of the classroom that also help build confidence and character.
Working with Families
Families are a crucial part of an online student’s educational experience. We recognize that the same routine does not work for every student and family. That’s why OCA gives you the freedom to design a schedule that includes volunteer work, sports, performing arts, and other pursuits.
Parents, in particular, perform a very important role, as they often play the role of the Learning Coach, keeping the student on track and regularly communicating with teachers.
Families can connect with teachers, school counselors, community coordinators, and other parents both online and in person through:
- Field Trips and family engagement activities hosted across all 5 regions of Ohio
- Open houses and Learning Coach training, online and at local teaching centers
- Secure message boards and closed social media groups where parents can post questions, tips, and resources for helping students succeed
- The Virtual Learning Connections blog, where Learning Coaches find tips and information about a variety of topics for busy virtual schooling families
- Club ORANGE, a network of Ohio Connections Academy parents who are highly involved in the OCA community
Participating in the Online Learning Community at Large
OCA hosts statewide picnic days where families gather at parks across the state. At the picnics, students can get to know each other, their teachers, and play games.