Alabama Virtual School Eligibility Requirements for the 2019-20 School Year
You must meet specific state and program requirements to attend Alabama Connections Academy (ALCA). Student eligibility requirements are determined by Alabama state laws. Before enrolling, review the following eligibility requirements carefully to determine whether your student(s) is eligible to participate in ALCA for grades K–12.
Note: Students who have been expelled from their local school or district may not be eligible to enroll.
- Kindergarten: Any student enrolling in kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which they are enrolling.
- First Grade: Any student enrolling in 1st grade must be six (6) years old on or before December 31 in the school year for which they are enrolling.
- Maximum Age: Any general education student who turns nineteen (19) years old on or before September 1 will not be eligible to enroll in Alabama Connections Academy. Special education students who turn twenty one (21) years old on or before September 1 will not be eligible to enroll in Alabama Connections Academy.
A copy of one of the following documents must be provided for every student to verify age eligibility. To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of this document along with your enrollment documents.
- Official birth certificate
- Certificate of Live Birth
- Baptismal Papers
- Hospital Certificate
- Custody Documentation
- Adoption Record
You must reside within the state of Alabama and provide acceptable proof of residency to be eligible for enrollment.
A copy of one of the following documents must be provided to verify your legal residence. If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the enrollment team to discuss acceptable alternatives.
- Gas, electric, or water bill from the last 60 days that includes your name and service address
- Mortgage statement from the last 60 days or annual lease agreement
- Home phone bill from the last 60 days.
All Alabama Connections Academy students must provide evidence of their immunizations on the state of Alabama Certificate of Immunization (COI). Please contact your health provider or county health department to obtain a copy of your student’s Certificate of Immunization (COI).
Alabama allows for medical or religious exemptions on the official state forms. Medical exemptions must be on the state form and can be provided by your health provider. A Certificate of Religious Exemption can only be issued by a county health department. Please contact your local health department for additional information.
See the Alabama School Immunization Requirements
Prior Schooling Requirements
All students who have previously attended public school, private school, or homeschool are eligible to enroll.
- Students entering grades 9—12 coming from a private or public school must be on cohort and earning a 2.0 GPA in core subject areas.
You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:
- IEP or Evaluation: If your student has had an Individualized Education Program (IEP) within the past three years, please submit a copy of the most recent IEP and the most recent Evaluation Report. The IEP must state that your student is on the "General Education Pathway." Alabama Connections Academy's curriculum for students with disabilities is designed to address students who are on the General Education Pathway.
- Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.
Return to Alabama Connections Academy Enrollment Instructions