Connections Academy Enrollment Frequently Asked Questions

What is the maximum student enrollment per household at Connections Academy?

Connections Academy is comfortable with a ratio of 4:1 (four children to one Learning Coach). An additional adult is required for more than 4 students in a household. In the event that the additional adult is not a parent or legal guardian, a Designated Learning Coach Agreement must be completed by both the parent/legal guardian and Designated Learning Coach.

How do I find out whether or not my child may be eligible to attend Connections Academy?

Check the eligibility page to find the following:

  • Grades offered.
  • The age that a child must be to start school in your state.
  • The acceptable proof of age documents in your state.
  • Any geographical restrictions for attending in your state.
  • The acceptable proof of residency documents in your state.
  • Restrictions for submitting immunization documentation.
  • Types of shots your student must have for enrollment.
  • Prior public schooling limitations.
  • Supporting documentation.
  • Types of documentation that may apply to your student that may need to be submitted.

How does self-enrollment work if I am 18 years old, or older, or am an emancipated minor?

Students who are 18 or over must meet age eligibility requirements in their state. Students must also submit academic documentation of all courses attempted since entering the 9th grade. Academic documentation will be reviewed by a school counselor to determine the student's eligibility to complete the program requirements before meeting the age cap for enrollment. Students who cannot complete the program requirements before meeting the age cap for enrollment are not eligible to enroll.

Both emancipated minors and students 18 years and older are required to complete the Parent/Legal Guardian (Caretaker) Acknowledgement (PLCA) form and to provide all required enrollment documentation before the student can enroll. Emancipated minors must also submit court documentation for their emancipation. Please contact the Enrollment Team at 800-382-6010 for more information.

What do you mean by the term "Learning Coach"?

The term "Learning Coach" is used to represent the role that the enrolling parent/guardian plays in the student’s educational experience. The enrolling parent/guardian serves as the "Learning Coach" and works closely with the teacher to ensure assignments are completed, schedules are met and students are engaged and motivated. The parent/guardian may designate another trusted adult to act as a Learning Coach by completing the Designated Learning Coach online form.

If I enroll my student in Connections Academy will I be able to log in at anytime to do school work or only during normal school hours?

You will have access to Connexus at any time of the day including weekends and holiday breaks. This level of flexibility helps you to design a learning day that works best for your family. High school students have a more defined schedule and are required to log in to Connexus at specific times during the day to attend live lessons and participate in cohort activities.

What is the maximum student enrollment per household at Connections Academy?

The number one rule is communication. If you experience any problems along the way, contact us immediately. We are ready and waiting to assist you—give us a call or send us a WebMail message. Communication is key throughout your entire experience with Connections Academy.

Why is the virtual enrollment process different from a physical school?

Local schools serve one district. Connections Academy serves students from multiple districts statewide. Not all districts statewide accept the same documentation.

Why does a virtual or cyber school need documents such as the immunization record to process my student?

Connections Academy schools operate like any other public school. Therefore, our schools must comply with the same state regulations. Specific documents are required for all enrolling students.

Why is academic documentation requested for my student?

Submission of academic documentation during the enrollment process, such as a report card, unofficial transcript, schedule or current progress report, helps to ensure an accurate and personalized course placement for your student to start with Connections Academy.

How do I obtain copies of my student's records from their previous school?

As a parent/legal guardian you may request copies of the student's most recent report card or unofficial transcript, IEP documentation, birth certificate and immunization record from their file. DO NOT withdraw from your current school or request a complete copy of the student's cumulative file prior to completing the enrollment process as this information will be requested from the student’s previous school upon completion of the enrollment process.

How long will it take to complete the enrollment process?

That depends on you. The sooner you complete online enrollment forms and submit the required documents, the sooner your student will be enrolled. This can be done in one day, but it typically takes 3 to 5 business days to complete enrollment.

TIP: Log in to your caretaker homepage daily to review the student’s enrollment status and the verification of documents you submit.

What can I do to complete the enrollment process sooner?

Our process is streamlined to minimize any inconvenience to you while still meeting state regulations. Refer to the Enrollment Instructions document for some tips to help you keep the process moving.

How should I verify that the documents I sent arrived?

Within two (2) business days of submitting your documents, you will see a link appear in your Enrollment Details section under the heading Documents Received. Click on the link to view the number of pages received. If you don’t see anything in Connexus after two (2) business days have passed, call 800-382-6010 and contact the Enrollment Team using the document submission option in our phone system. We will check the system to see if the document was received. Please be prepared to provide us with the following information: student’s name, number of pages sent, the date sent, and if sent by fax, the fax number.

Once I complete Final Confirmation, should I wait to withdraw from my local school?

Once you complete Final Confirmation, notify your school immediately so that there is no confusion about where you have chosen to enroll your child. Instances occur often where local school systems claim that a child was never withdrawn, which can potentially negate the process you’ve completed with Connections Academy. It is in your best interest to act promptly by withdrawing your child from your local school the day you complete the Final Confirmation.

Withdrawing your student before completing the Final Confirmation may result in additional documentation required (i.e. report card). If there are any delays in submitting these documents, there will be delays in your child’s placement and ultimately, learning.

How can I change my address and other contact information?

You can change your information by logging into Connexus. On your caretaker homepage, click on the "Change Contact Information" link. Or, you can notify the student’s teacher who can submit the change for you.

I need to change my student’s name in Connexus®, who do I contact?

In order to update a parent or student name, Connections Academy will need a copy of the legal name change documentation such as an amended birth certificate, marriage certificate or court order. Please submit this documentation to the Enrollment Department.