Eligibility Requirements

You must meet specific state and program requirements to attend California Connections Academy schools. Student eligibility requirements in California are determined by the state of California, which regulates all public schools including California Connections Academy. Before enrolling, review the following eligibility requirements carefully to determine whether your student(s) is eligible to participate in grades K–12.

Note: Students who are currently expelled from their local school or district may not be eligible to enroll.

Age Limitations

  • Transitional Kindergarten: Any student enrolling in transitional kindergarten must be five (5) years old between September 2 and December 2 in the school year for which you are enrolling.*
  • Kindergarten: Any student enrolling in kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which you are enrolling.

* The availability of transitional kindergarten is dependent upon legislative action and could change at any time.

Required Documents

A copy of one of the following documents must be provided for every student to verify age eligibility. To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of this document along with your enrollment documents:

  • Official birth certificate
  • Passport (U.S. and other countries)
  • Certificate of live birth
  • Green card
  • Government issued ID
  • Court documents
  • Medical records
  • School records from previous school

Geographical Limitations

You must reside in one of the following California counties and provide acceptable proof of residency to be eligible for enrollment in Connections Academy.


  • Los Angeles
  • Orange
  • Riverside
  • San Bernardino
  • San Diego

North Bay:

  • Colusa
  • Glenn
  • Lake
  • Mendocino
  • Napa
  • Sonoma
  • Yolo


  • Fresno
  • Inyo
  • Kern
  • Kings
  • Tulare


  • Alameda
  • Amador
  • Calaveras
  • Contra Costa
  • Sacramento
  • San Joaquin
  • Santa Clara
  • Stanislaus

Required Documents

A copy of one of the following documents must be provided to verify your legal residence. If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the enrollment team to discuss acceptable alternatives.

  • Gas, electric, or water bill from the last 60 days that includes your name and service address
  • Mortgage statement or annual lease agreement
  • Property tax statement
  • Current voter registration card
  • Payroll stub
  • Letter from a government agency


Senate Bill 277 modifies immunization requirements for California public and private elementary and secondary school students. Students are allowed to attend a home-based private school program or a public independent study program as long as they are not engaged in classroom-based instruction, regardless of their immunization status.

The California Connections Academy virtual school program meets the criteria of an independent study program for purposes of enrollment. The schools are required to collect information from parents and report to the state on immunizations. Therefore, shot records should be submitted for students upon enrollment and resubmitted upon entry into seventh grade. Your student’s immunization record does not need to document all vaccines required for full compliance with regulatory requirements to attend this school. However, students who want to participate in activities that are designated as classroom-based instruction, such as in-person science labs, must provide proof of all vaccines or a proper exemption, such as a medical exemption. Documentation of every received shot will assist California Connections Academy school staff in notifying families with unvaccinated students of exclusion from all in-person activities in the event of a disease outbreak that may impact their student.

Families will be able to submit immunization records and/or exemptions once they begin the enrollment process.

Required Documents

See the California school immunization requirements:

Prior Public Schooling Limitations

All students who have previously attended public school, private school, or homeschool are eligible to enroll.

Other Documentation

You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:

  • Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.

Return to California Connections Academy enrollment instructions