In California, student eligibility requirements are determined by the state, which regulates all public schools including California Connections Academy. Before enrolling, please review the following eligibility requirements carefully to determine whether your student(s) is eligible to participate in grades K–12.
California Connections Academy schools are open to all students who meet the state's age and geographic restrictions for virtual charter schools. While we are required to collect documents that show that the age and residency requirements have been met, we do welcome students who have unusual circumstances, such as homeless and foster youth, immigrants, refugees, migrants, and students who are not U.S. citizens. Contact the school office for assistance if enrolling a student for whom standard documentation is not readily available due to this type of situation.
The virtual school setting can be a good educational fit for students in unusual circumstances. Explore the school website or contact the school's counseling department for more information on whether the virtual setting is right for your family.
Note: Students who are currently expelled from their local school or district may not be eligible to enroll.
- Transitional Kindergarten: Any student enrolling in transitional kindergarten must be five (5) years old between September 2 and December 2 in the school year for which you are enrolling.
- Kindergarten: Any student enrolling in kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which you are enrolling.
- First Grade: Any student enrolling in first grade must be six (6) years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which you are enrolling.
- Maximum Age: The maximum age to enroll is nineteen (19) years old on or before September 1 for a general education student and twenty-two (22) years old for a special education student. In order for a student that turns nineteen (19) after September 1 to enroll there must not have been any breaks in education and the student must be making satisfactory progress toward a diploma.
A copy of one of the following documents must be provided for every student to verify age eligibility. To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of this document along with your enrollment documents:
- Official birth certificate
- Passport (U.S. and other countries)
- Certificate of live birth
- Military ID or Driver’s License
- Adoption record
- Tribal affiliation card
- Green card
- Custody documentation
- Medical records
- School records from previous school
You must reside in one of the following California counties and provide acceptable proof of residency to be eligible for enrollment in Connections Academy.
- Los Angeles
- San Bernardino
- San Diego
- Contra Costa
- San Joaquin
- Santa Clara
A copy of one of the following documents must be provided to verify your legal residence. If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the enrollment team to discuss acceptable alternatives.
- Gas, electric, water, cable, home phone, internet, or trash bill from the last 60 days that includes your name and service address
- Mortgage statement or annual lease agreement
- Property tax statement
- Current voter registration card
- Payroll stub
- Letter from a government agency
Senate Bill 277 modifies immunization requirements for California public and private elementary and secondary school students. Students are allowed to attend a home-based private school program or a public independent study program as long as they are not engaged in classroom-based instruction, regardless of their immunization status.
The California Connections Academy virtual school program meets the criteria of an independent study program for purposes of enrollment. The schools are required to collect information from parents and report to the state on immunizations. Therefore, shot records should be submitted for students upon enrollment and resubmitted upon entry into seventh grade. Your student’s immunization record does not need to document all vaccines required for full compliance with regulatory requirements to attend this school. However, students who want to participate in activities that are designated as classroom-based instruction, such as in-person science labs, must provide proof of all vaccines or a proper exemption, such as a medical exemption. Documentation of every received shot will assist California Connections Academy school staff in notifying families with unvaccinated students of exclusion from all in-person activities in the event of a disease outbreak that may impact their student.
Families will be able to submit immunization records and/or exemptions once they begin the enrollment process.
See the California school immunization requirements:
Prior Public Schooling Limitations
All students who have previously attended public school, private school, or homeschool are eligible to enroll.
You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:
- Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.
Return to California Connections Academy enrollment instructions