Students must participate in required state testing and successfully earn a minimum of 22 credits to graduate. Be sure to check your school handbook for updates.
The course credits required to graduate in Tennessee include:
- English: 4 credits
- Math: 4 credits (including Algebra I, II, Geometry and a fourth higher level math course (students must be enrolled in a math course each school year))
- Science: 3 credits (including Biology, Chemistry or Physics and a third lab course)
- Social studies: 3 credits (including U.S. History and Geography, World History and Geography, U.S. Government and Civics, and Economics)
- Physical education and wellness: 1.5 credits
- Fine arts: 1 credit
- Personal Finance: 0.5 credit (or 3 years of JROTC)
- Foreign Language: 2 credits*
- Other electives: 3 credits*
*May be waived by the local school district for students, under certain circumstances, to expand and enhance the elective focus.