Father and daughter work at laptop together

Utah Connections Academy Eligibility Requirements for the 2020-21 School Year

You must meet specific state and program requirements to attend Utah Connections Academy. Student eligibility requirements in Utah are determined by the Utah State Office of Education. Before enrolling, review the following eligibility requirements carefully to determine whether your student(s) is eligible to participate in grades K–12.

Note: Utah Connections Academy does not accept students who are currently expelled from their local school or district. Students who are currently suspended from their local school or district may not be eligible to enroll and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Age Limitations

  • Kindergarten: Any student enrolling in kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which you are enrolling.
  • First grade: Any student enrolling in 1st grade must be six (6) years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which they are enrolling.
  • Maximum Age: Any general education student who turns eighteen (18) years old on or before September 1 will not be eligible to enroll in Utah Connections Academy. Special education students who turn twenty one (21) years old on or before September 1 will not be eligible to enroll in Utah Connections Academy.

Required Documents

A copy of one of the following documents must be provided for every student to verify age eligibility. To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of this document along with your enrollment documents.

  • Official birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Certificate of live birth
  • Baptismal papers
  • Hospital certificate
  • Custody documentation
  • Adoption record

Geographical Limitations

You must reside in the state of Utah and provide acceptable proof of residency to be eligible for enrollment in Utah Connections Academy. Students do not need to be withdrawn from their previous school prior to enrolling in Utah Connections Academy. Please complete the enrollment process and Utah Connections Academy will notify the student's previous district of the change in school.

Required Documents

All applicants shall submit two of the following items showing your name and address to establish residency. You may send one Proof of Residency if you provide one of the following items; utility bill (electric, gas, water, or sewage), mortgage statement, lease agreement or most recent property tax statement. Items marked with an asterisk (*) must be dated within the last 60 days.

  • Gas, electric, water, or sewage utility bill, showing your name and service address*
  • Mortgage statement* or current signed lease agreement
  • Property tax statement
  • Cable bill*
  • Land line telephone and/or Internet bill (do not submit more than one from this category)*
  • Voter registration card
  • Valid Utah driver's license or other Utah photo ID (do not submit more than one from this category)
  • Bank statement*
  • Rent receipt*
  • Property deed
  • Letter from a government agency*
  • Payroll stub*
  • Credit card statement*
  • Certificate of tribal enrollment or other identification issued by a recognized Native American tribe


All Utah Connections Academy students must provide evidence of their immunizations. Please submit one of the following:

  • A Utah School Immunization Record (Pink Card) signed by a licensed physician, registered nurse, or public health official.
  • If the Utah School Immunization Record is not signed by a license physician, registered nurse, or public health official, it must be accompanied by a current copy of the student’s shot record signed by a licensed physician, registered nurse, or public health official.
  • Any immunization record signed by a licensed physician, registered nurse or public health official.


A student may be exempt from immunizations for medical, religious, or personal belief reasons. To receive a vaccination exemption form, the legally responsible individual of a student must complete an online education module (free of charge), print the vaccine exemption form, and present the form to the school.

If the legally responsible individual declines to complete the online education module, he/she must receive an in-person consultation at the local health department ($25.00 fee may apply), sign the exemption form at the local health department, and provide a copy of the completed school immunization exemption form to the school official.

For a medical exemption from vaccination, the legally responsible individual of the student must present to the school a completed vaccination exemption form and a written notice signed by a licensed healthcare provider stating that due to the physical condition of the student, administration of the vaccine would endanger the student’s life or health.

Prior Public Schooling Limitations

All students who have previously attended public school, private school, or homeschool are eligible to enroll. Students who have previously earned a high school diploma or certificate of completion are not eligible to enroll.

Other Documentation

You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:

  • Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.
Return to Utah Connections Academy Enrollment Instructions