Tennessee Online School Registration Eligibility Requirements for the 2019-20 School Year
You must meet specific state and program requirements to attend Tennessee Connections Academy (TNCA). Student eligibility requirements are determined by Tennessee state laws. Before enrolling, review the following eligibility requirements carefully to determine whether your student(s) is eligible to participate in TNCA for grades K–12*.
Note: Students who have been expelled from their local school or district may not be eligible to enroll.
Return to Tennessee Connections Academy enrollment instructions
- Kindergarten: Any student enrolling in kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before August 15 in the school year for which they are enrolling.
- First Grade: Any student enrolling in 1st grade must be six (6) years old on or before August 15 in the school year for which they are enrolling.
A copy of one of the following documents must be provided for every student to verify age eligibility. To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of this document along with your enrollment documents.
- Official birth certificate
You must reside within the state of Tennessee and provide acceptable proof of residency to be eligible for enrollment.
A copy of two different documents must be provided to verify your legal residence. If you do not have any of the following documents, please contact the enrollment team to discuss acceptable alternatives.
- Gas, electric, water, or sewage bill from the last 60 days that includes your name and service address
- Mortgage statement from the last 60 days or annual lease agreement
- Property Tax Statement
- State or Government Identification Card such as a TN Driver’s License
- Voter Registration Card
- Rent receipt with date and names of persons who made/received payments
All Tennessee Connections Academy students must provide evidence of their immunizations on the state of Tennessee Certificate of Immunization. Please contact your health provider or county health department to obtain a copy of your student’s Certificate of Immunization (COI).
Tennessee allows for medical or religious exemptions on the official state forms. Medical exemptions must be on the Tennessee Certificate of Immunization and can be provided by your health provider. A Religious Exemption requires a signed statement by the parent/guardian that vaccination conflicts with their religious tenets or practices. If the child needs documentation of a health examination for the school, it must be noted by the healthcare provider on the immunization certificate. In that case, the provider should check the box that the parent has sought a religious exemption to explain why immunization information is absent or incomplete.
See the Tennessee School Immunization Requirements.
Prior Public Schooling Limitations
All students who have previously attended public school, private school, or homeschool are eligible to enroll.
- Students entering grades 9—12 coming from a private or public school must be on cohort.
You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:
Check out instructions for Tennessee Connections Academy enrollment
- IEP or Evaluation: If your student has had an Individualized Education Program (IEP) within the past three years, please submit a copy of the most recent IEP and the most recent Evaluation Report.
- Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.