Boy works on laptop at kitchen table

Pecos Connections Academy Enrollment Checklist for the 2020-21 School Year

Thank you for considering Pecos Connections Academy for your child's education. Many families have found our online school program to be a better fit for their students. The information on this page will help you prepare for enrollment.

Get Prepared icon

Get Prepared for Enrollment

Do you have everything you need? Because Connections Academy is a public school, parents must submit state-required information and documentation for each student. You will save time and enrollment will go more smoothly if you are prepared!

Use the Enrollment Checklist below to gather the documents you will need. The checklist lists your state's requirements, plus tips to help you find documents you may not have. Once you have your documents ready, it’s easy to create an account and complete the enrollment forms in Connexus®, our online system.

Students who are currently expelled from their local school or district may not be eligible to enroll. In addition, students who were previously homeschooled are required to have notified the state of their student’s homeschool status.

Eligibility Requirements

You must meet specific state and program requirements to attend Pecos Connections Academy (PCA). Student eligibility requirements in New Mexico are determined by the state of New Mexico, which is the authorizing body for Pecos Connections Academy. Before enrolling, review the eligibility requirements carefully to determine whether your student(s) is eligible to participate in grades K–12.

What Documents to Have Ready

Please have the following documents available when you are ready to begin the enrollment process:

Required Documents

The documents below are required for enrollment in Pecos Connections Academy. Please submit or transfer information from the following:

Proof of age icon

Child's Proof of Age

A copy of one of the following must be provided for each child in order to verify age eligibility:

  • Official birth certificate
  • Passport

To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of the official birth certificate or passport along with your other enrollment documents. If you do not have either of these documents, please contact the enrollment team at 844-227-0920 to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Not Sure Where to Get That?

As a reminder, the age eligibility is as follows:

  • Kindergarten: Any student enrolling in kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which you are enrolling. 
  • First Grade: Any student enrolling in first grade must be six (6) years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which you are enrolling. 
  • Maximum Age: Any student who turns twenty-two (22) on or before the first day of school will not be eligible to enroll in Pecos Connections Academy. 

Proof of residence icon

Proof of Residence (1 form)

According to the New Mexico Higher Education Department, you must reside in the state of New Mexico and provide ONE acceptable proof of residency to be eligible for enrollment in Pecos Connections Academy. There are many verifiable forms of documentation, which are detailed below.

Not Sure What is Accepted as Proof?

  • Utility bill
    Acceptable documents include water, electric, sewage, home phone, cable or gas bill that is dated within 60 days of the enrollment date and that includes your name and service address.
  • Mortgage statement from the last 60 days or lease agreement
    Acceptable documents include: A mortgage statement, rental agreement, or lease (including Section 8) agreement. Please note: Documents must be of a current date, as appropriate for the type of document submitted.
  • Valid New Mexico driver's license
  • Letter from a government agency

Proof of immunization icon

Child’s Proof of Immunization

All Pecos Connections Academy students must provide evidence of their immunizations on one of the following:

  • State of New Mexico Official Immunization Form
  • Immunization booklet with all doses signed/stamped
  • Health care provider/Health Department printout
  • School record signed/stamped
  • Connections Academy Immunization Form, which is a part of your enrollment documents available in Connexus
These forms must be signed or stamped by a health care provider.

Not Sure What Immunizations Are Required?

Where Can I Get Immunizations for My Student?

Immunizations can be obtained from doctor’s offices, clinics, or hospitals. Pediatricians and family doctors or their nurses or medical assistants can give your student the shots they need to meet the requirements for school enrollment. In addition, some large chain pharmacies offer immunizations for older children and adults.

What if I Need Assistance Paying for Vaccines?

If you need assistance paying for shots/vaccinations, you may be able to get free or reduced immunizations through this program:

  • Vaccines for Children (VFC) program is a federally funded program that provides vaccines at no cost to children who might not otherwise be vaccinated because of inability to pay. Children who are eligible for VFC vaccines are entitled to receive pediatric vaccines that are recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.

Immunization Exemptions

A student may be exempt from immunizations for the following reasons: medical exemption or religious beliefs.

Important Documents

Academic Records icon

Prior Academic Records

All students who have previously attended public school, private school, or homeschool are eligible to enroll and will be requested to submit academic records for placement.

  • Report Card
    For students applying for grades K–9: Please submit a copy of the report card from the most recent school year.

    The following items should be included on the report card:
    • Student name
    • Grade level
    • School year (example: 2019–20)
    • School name
    • Grading Scale (example: 90–100% = A)
  • Unofficial Transcript
    For students applying for grades 10-12: Submit an unofficial transcript that includes the complete end-of-year grades from the prior school year and any academic documentation (such as a progress report/interim report, class schedule, or marking period/semester report card) issued for the prior school year. Additional documentation may be requested for placement.

    The following items should be included on the unofficial transcript:
    • Student name
    • Grade level
    • School year (example: 2019–20)
    • School name
    • Grading Scale (example: 90–100% = A)
    • Credits Earned
Not Sure How to Get Your Child’s Report Card?

  • Contact your student's previous school and request the document, providing them with the information outlined above, OR contact your school's district office with the request.

If after attempting these steps you still cannot obtain your student's report card, please contact the academic placement services team at 844-227-0920 to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Have Your Child(ren) Been Formerly Homeschooled?

  • Prior Academic History Form
    For homeschooled students in grades K–12: Complete the Prior Academic History Form indicating what courses were completed through a homeschool curriculum. This form will be available to you in Connexus.

Other Documents for Special Circumstances

Though not applicable to all families, please submit the documentation requested if the information below is specific to your student.

Other Documents icon

Other Documentation

You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:

  • Vision Screening: Students entering kindergarten, 1st and 3rd grades are required to provide a copy of the student’s most recent vision screening or documentation stating their objection to such screenings within 30 days of enrollment.
  • Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.
  • Homeschool Notification Form:If your student was previously homeschooled, please submit a copy of your homeschool notification form.

Ready to Enroll?

Once you have all of the required documentation (outlined above), you are ready to proceed with enrollment in our K–12 virtual school Pecos Connections Academy.

Problems or Questions?

If you have any concerns or questions about how to enroll or use our Pecos virtual school enrollment checklist, our enrollment team is here to help. Please call us at 844-227-0920.

Pecos Connections Academy admits students and conducts all educational programs, activities, and employment practices without discrimination on the basis of sex, race, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, creed, sexual orientation, disability, or any other legally protected classification.