What Is Personalized Performance Learning®?
The Approach that Allows Every Student to Flourish
At Connections Academy, education is personalized to each student’s individual abilities. This personal touch is what sets this program apart from the rest. When students receive the one-on-one individualized attention they deserve, there’s no telling how far they’ll go. The Personalized Performance Learning approach gives every student the best chance to flourish.
We Adapt to Students’ Changing Needs
Personalizing a student’s learning program isn’t a one-time process; it’s ongoing. Students, Learning Coaches/parents, and teachers check in throughout the year to review progress, modify the student's program, and adjust goals as needed. Here’s a little more about how we go about personalizing a student’s education plan:
- Reviewing Student Background and Learning Styles: Teachers, Learning Coaches, and students discuss student strengths, skills, and previous school performance to help inform and guide the best teaching and personalized online learning approach.
- Testing Performance: Students are tested in math, reading, and English/language arts at the beginning, middle, and end of each school year. A student’s test results help us identify areas of strength and weakness, measure progress, and establish learning goals. The assessment used may vary by school due to state or board requirements.
- Finding the Right Courses and Placement: Testing and assessments are used to identify and evaluate a student’s strengths, weaknesses, and talents. We uncover skills that may need improvement and look for ways to enhance the student’s learning potential. All of this information is then used to help select courses based on the student’s individual needs.
- Setting Goals: Teachers and Learning Coaches work together to set goals for the student and determine a time line for accomplishing these individualized learning goals during the school year.
- Communicating Regularly: When school starts, Learning Coaches and teachers establish a regular communication schedule for the personalized learning plan, depending on the needs of the student.
- Scheduling Modifications and Electives (K–8): Throughout the year, teachers personalize the learning schedule. They inquire about the student’s daily routines and make adjustments to the student’s online learning schedule as needed. They also may decide to add an elective course.
Take a Look at the Curriculum