North Carolina Connections Academy Lottery Policy
Open Application Period
- The school will have an open application period which will open the first Tuesday of March of the preceding school year and will be of no less than 30 consecutive calendar days.
- 1.1. A family without an email address may complete an application by calling the school at 800-382-6010.
- 1.2. This application is required during the open application period to enable the student to be included in the lottery.
- 1.3. No students will be admitted during the open application period.
- If the school is not oversubscribed at the end of the open application period, a lottery will not be held and the school will continue to accept applications and admit eligible students on a first come, first served basis, based on availability in their respective grade. Once the enrollment limit has been met, students will be placed on a waitlist and allowed to enroll if space becomes available in their grade.
NCCA is committed to admitting as many K–9 students as possible within its annually set enrollment limits. Therefore, if the number of eligible enrollment applications completed during the annual open application period exceeds the available slots, NCCA will use a publicly-held, electronically-generated random lottery to determine who may attend.
If a random lottery is needed, the school will post the date and time of the lottery on its website Enrollment page.
If a lottery is necessary, students not selected in the lottery will be placed on a waiting list chronologically in the order in which applicants fully complete all enrollment tasks. Waitlisted students will be notified and released to enroll if space becomes available in their grade. The school will continue to accept applications after the open application period, but these students will be placed on the waiting list in order of when they completed all enrollment tasks, after students who participated in the lottery but were not selected in the lottery.
Lottery Procedure (if required)
For the 2015–16 school year, students will be selected in a random lottery drawing. Parents/legal guardians of students selected in the lottery will have 10 calendar days to accept an offer of enrollment; if they fail to accept such offer within the 10 days, they shall forfeit the student's space to the next student on the list. (If the 10th day falls on a weekend or school holiday, the 10th day shall extend to the next working day.)
If a random lottery is needed, the school will post the date, time and location of the lottery on its website Enrollment page.
In the second year and thereafter, after accounting for returning students and their siblings, if there are more completed applications than available slots at the end of the open application period, a lottery will be conducted in accordance with the school’s lottery policy.
Once the lottery has been conducted, if a student is not selected in the lottery, the student will be placed on a waitlist in the order of the random number assigned in the lottery and by grade. Once the lottery is conducted, students will be kept on a waitlist for the entirety of the current school year, or until a space becomes available for the student based on the student’s place on the waitlist and grade, or until the student’s parent or guardian informs the school they are no longer interested in enrolling the student for the current school year. Waitlist status does not carry over from year to year. All students on the current school year’s waitlist must reapply to be eligible for the next school year.
This policy shall be subject to and interpreted consistent with all North Carolina enrollment and lottery requirements as specified in G.S. 115C-218.45.
North Carolina Connections Academy shall not limit admission to students on the basis of intellectual ability, measures of achievement or aptitude, athletic ability, disability, race, creed, national origin, religion, or ancestry.