North Carolina Connections Academy Enrollment Checklist for the 2018-19 School Year

Thank you for considering North Carolina Connections Academy for your child's education. Many families have found our online school program to be a better fit for their students. The information on this page will help you prepare for enrollment.

Get Prepared icon

Get Prepared for Enrollment

Do you have everything you need? Because Connections Academy is a public school, parents must submit state-required information and documentation for each student. You will save time and enrollment will go more smoothly if you are prepared!

Use the Enrollment Checklist below to gather the documents you will need. The checklist lists your state's requirements, plus tips to help you find documents you may not have. Once you have your documents ready, it’s easy to create an account and complete the enrollment forms in Connexus®, our online system.

Students who are currently expelled from their local school or district are not eligible to enroll. Students who are currently suspended from their local school or district will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

What Documents to Have Ready

Please have the following documents available and ready to upload to Connexus:

Required Documents

The documents below are required for enrollment in North Carolina Connections Academy. Please submit or transfer information from the following:

Prior Public Schooling Requirements

All students who have previously attended public, private, or home school are eligible to enroll.

Proof of age icon

Child's Proof of Age

A copy of the student's official birth certificate must be provided to verify age eligibility. To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of the birth certificate along with your enrollment documents.

Not Sure Where to Get That?

  • If you need a copy of your child's birth certificate, you can order it online through the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services. Please visit the North Carolina Vital Records webpage for more information.
  • If your child was born in another state, please visit the CDC’s Where to Write for Vital Records webpage for more information. When using this tool, please remember to follow the CDC's Application Guidelines.

As a reminder, the age eligibility is as follows:

  • Kindergarten: Any student enrolling in kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before August 31 in the school year in which they are enrolling.
  • Maximum Age: Any general education student who turns twenty-one (21) years old on or before September 1 will not be eligible to enroll. Any special education student who turns twenty-two (22) years old on or before September 1 will not be eligible to enroll.

Proof of residence icon

Proof of Residence (1 form)

A copy of one of the following documents must be provided to verify your legal residence. If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the enrollment team to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Not Sure What is Accepted as Proof?

  • Gas, electric, or water bill, from the last 60 days, that includes your name and service address
  • Mortgage statement (from the last 60 days) or an annual lease agreement
  • Property tax statement
  • Driver's License or State issued ID
  • Settlement statement
  • Notarized letter

Proof of immunization icon

Child’s Proof of Immunization

All students in NCCA must provide evidence of their immunizations on either a state of North Carolina Official Immunization Form, an official school record, a healthcare provider or Health Department printout, or an immunization booklet with all doses stamped.

These forms must be stamped by a health care provider.

Not Sure What Immunizations Are Required?

Where Can I Get Immunizations for My Student?

Immunizations can be obtained from doctor’s offices, clinics, or hospitals. Pediatricians and family doctors or their nurses or medical assistants can give your student the shots they need to meet the requirements for school enrollment. In addition, some large chain pharmacies offer immunizations for older children and adults.

What if I Need Assistance Paying for Vaccines?

If you need assistance paying for shots/vaccinations, you may be able to get free or reduced immunizations through this program:

  • Vaccines for Children (VFC) program is a federally funded program that provides vaccines at no cost to children who might not otherwise be vaccinated because of inability to pay. Children who are eligible for VFC vaccines are entitled to receive pediatric vaccines that are recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.
Immunization Exemptions

The state of North Carolina allows for medical or religious exemptions.

  • Medical Exemption: Please use the State form.
  • Religious Exemption: Parents seeking exemption from immunizations for religious reasons must provide a written statement.

Important Documents

Academic Records icon

Prior Academic Records

Please be prepared to submit academic records for placement. These academic records include:

  • Report Card
    For students applying for grades K–9: Please submit a copy of the report card from the most recent school year.

    The following items should be included on the report card:
    • Student Name
    • Grade Level
    • School Year (example: 2017–18)
    • School Name
    • Grading Scale (example: 90–100%=A)
  • Unofficial Transcript
    For students applying for grades 10–12: Submit an unofficial transcript that includes the complete end-of-year grades from the prior school year(s) and any academic documentation (such as a progress report/interim report, class schedule, or marking period/semester report card) issued for the current school year. Additional documentation may be requested for placement.

    The following items should be included on the unofficial transcript:
    • Student Name
    • Grade Level
    • School Year (example: 2017–18)
    • School Name
    • Grading Scale (example: 90–100%=A)
    • Credits Earned
Not Sure How to Get Your Child’s Report Card or Transcript?

  • Contact your student's previous school and request the document, providing them with the information outlined above, OR contact your school's district office with the request.

If after attempting these steps you still cannot obtain your student's report card or transcript, please contact the academic placement services team at 800-382-6010 to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Have Your Child(ren) Been Formerly Homeschooled?

If your children are currently homeschooled, please complete the Prior Academic History Form. This document will be available to you in Connexus.

  • Prior Academic History Form
    For homeschooled students in grades K–12: Complete the Prior Academic History Form indicating what courses were completed through a homeschool curriculum.

Other Documents for Special Circumstances

Though not applicable to all families, please submit the documentation requested if the information below is specific to your student.

Other Documents icon

Other Documentation

You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:

  • Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.
  • Gifted documentation: If you are requesting any Gifted and Talented programs, you will need to submit formal Gifted documentation which may include gifted assessment results, report cards and state test scores. This document is required for Gifted and Talented course placement.
  • Special Education Documentation: If your student has had an Individualized Education Program (IEP) within the past three years, please submit the following documents:
    • IEP Documentation: Please submit a copy of the most recent IEP from within the last year.
    • Supporting Evaluation Documentation: Please submit a copy of the most recent Evaluation Report.
    • Eligibility Determination: Please submit a copy of the most recent Eligibility Determination.
  • Additional Special Education Documentation:
    • IEP Exit Documentation: If your student has been formally exited from special education services, please submit a copy of the formal exit documentation.
  • 504 Plan: If your student has had a 504 Plan within the past three years, please submit a copy of this document.
  • State Test Scores:If your student is applying for fourth grade, the state assessment reading and math portion of the state assessment is used for promotion criteria and will be reviewed by an academic placement advisor during the course placement process. Please submit a copy of the results for this assessment to expedite your student’s course placement.

Ready to Enroll?

Once you have all of the required documentation (outlined above), you are ready to proceed with enrollment in our K–12 virtual school North Carolina Connections Academy.

Problems or Questions?

If you have any concerns or questions about how to enroll or use our North Carolina virtual school enrollment checklist, our enrollment team is here to help. Please call us at 800-382-6010.

North Carolina Connections Academy admits students and conducts all educational programs, activities, and employment practices without discrimination on the basis of sex, race, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, creed, sexual orientation, disability, or any other legally protected classification.