Minnesota Connections Academy Eligibility Requirements for the 2021-22 School Year
You must meet specific state and program requirements to attend Minnesota Connections Academy. Online student eligibility requirements in Minnesota are determined by the Minnesota Transition Charter Board, which is the authorizing body for Minnesota Connections Academy. Before enrolling your child in virtual school, review the following Minnesota online school eligibility requirements carefully to determine whether your student(s) is eligible to participate in grades K–12.
Note: Students who have been or are currently suspended or expelled from their local school or district may not be eligible to enroll.
- Kindergarten: Any student enrolling in kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before September 1, in the school year for which they are enrolling.
- First Grade: Any student enrolling in first grade must be six (6) years old on or before September 1, in the school year for which they are enrolling.
- Maximum Age: Any student who turns twenty-one (21) years old on or before September 1 will not be eligible to enroll in Minnesota Connections Academy.
A copy of one of the following documents must be provided for every student to verify age eligibility. To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of this document along with your online school enrollment documents.
- Official birth certificate
- Tribal Affiliation card
- U.S. Passport
- Adoption Record
- Baptismal papers
- Custody Order
- Green card
- Military ID or Student Driver’s License
- Hospital Certificate
- Certificate of Live birth
You must reside in the state of Minnesota and provide acceptable proof of residency to be eligible for enrollment in Minnesota Connections Academy.
A copy of one of the following documents must be provided to verify your legal residence. If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the K–12 enrollment team to discuss acceptable alternatives. Items marked with an asterisk (*) must be dated within the last 60 days:
- Gas, electric, sewage, or water bill that includes your name and service address*
- Mortgage statement* or annual lease agreement
- Property tax statement
- Driver’s license or state issued ID
- Cable Bill*
- Internet Bill*
- Letter from a Government Agency*
- Rent receipt*
- Banking statement*
- Voter registration card
- Trash bill*
- Payroll stub*
- Vehicle Registration
Prior Public Schooling Limitations
All students who have previously attended public school, private school, or homeschool are eligible to enroll.
You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:
- Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.
Return to Minnesota Connections Academy Enrollment Instructions