Lighthouse Online School Eligibility Requirements for the 2019—20 School Year
You must meet specific state and program eligibility requirements to attend Lighthouse Connections Academy. Student eligibility requirements in Michigan are determined by the Michigan Legislature and the Michigan Board of Education. Lighthouse Connections Academy is authorized by the Ferris State University Charter Schools Office. Before enrolling, review the following eligibility requirements carefully to determine whether your student(s) is eligible to participate in grades K–12.
Note: Students who have been expelled from another school because their behavior reflected concerns for their personal safety, or for the safety of others, will be reviewed individually and enrollment decisions will be made in full compliance with Michigan law and with MDE regulations.
- Kindergarten: Any student enrolling in kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which you are enrolling.
- First Grade: Any student enrolling in first grade must be six (6) years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which you are enrolling.
- Maximum Age: A general education student who turns twenty (20) years old on or before September 1 will not be eligible to enroll. A special education student who turns twenty-six (26) years old on or before September 1 will not be eligible to enroll in Lighthouse Connections Academy.
A copy of the official birth certificate of date of birth affidavit for each child must be provided to verify age eligibility. To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of this document along with your enrollment documents.
You must reside in the state of Michigan and provide acceptable proof of residency to be eligible for enrollment in Lighthouse Connections Academy.
A copy of one of the following documents must be provided to verify your legal residence. If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the enrollment team to discuss acceptable alternatives.
- Gas, electric, Internet, trash, propane oil or water bill from the last 60 days that includes your name and service address
- Driver's License and Voter Registration card together
- Mortgage statement from the last 60 days or annual lease agreement
- Property tax statement
All Lighthouse Connections Academy students must provide a certificate of immunization obtained from and signed by health care provider.
See Michigan School Immunization Requirements
Medical and Religious Exemption
Michigan allows for medical, religious, or personal exemptions. Parents seeking immunization waivers in Michigan must have the immunization waiver certified by their local health department.
Prior Public Schooling Requirements
There are no prior schooling limitations. Any age-eligible public school, private school, or homeschool student may enroll in Lighthouse Connections Academy.
You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:
- Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.
Return to Lighthouse Connections Academy Enrollment Instructions