A boy is smiling at his laptop

TEC Connections Academy Commonwealth Virtual School Enrollment Checklist for the 2021-22 School Year

Thank you for considering TEC Connections Academy Commonwealth Virtual School for your child's education. Many families have found our online school program to be a better fit for their students. The information on this page will help you prepare for enrollment.

Get Prepared icon

Get Prepared for Enrollment

Do you have everything you need to enroll? Because Connections Academy is a public school, parents must submit state-required information and documentation for each student. You will save time and enrollment will go more smoothly if you are prepared!

Use the Enrollment Checklist below to gather the documents you will need. The checklist lists your state's requirements, plus tips to help you find documents you may not have. Once you have your documents ready, it’s easy to create an account and complete the enrollment forms in Connexus®, our online system.

Students who have been suspended or expelled from their local school or district may not be eligible to enroll.

What Documents to Have Ready

Use the checklist below for K–12 virtual school enrollment in our Massachusetts school. Please have the following documents available and ready to upload to Connexus:

Required Documents
The documents below are required for enrollment in TECCA. Please submit or transfer information regarding the following:

Proof of age icon

Child's Proof of Age

A copy of one of the following documents must be provided for every student to verify age eligibility. To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of this document along with your enrollment documents:

  • Official birth certificate
  • Passport 
  • Certificate of Live Birth
  • Baptismal papers 
  • Hospital Certificate
  • Green Card (Permanent Resident Card) 
Not Sure Where to Get That?

As a reminder, the age eligibility is as follows:

  • Kindergarten: Any student enrolling in kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before August 31 in the school year for which they are enrolling.
  • First grade: Any student enrolling in first grade must be six (6) years old on or before August 31 in the school year for which they are enrolling.
  • Maximum age: Any general education student who turns twenty-one (21) years old on or before August 31 will not be eligible to enroll. Any special education student who turns twenty-two (22) years old on or before August 31 will not be eligible to enroll.

Proof of residence icon

Proof of Residence (1 form)

You must provide ONE acceptable proof of residency to be eligible for enrollment in TECCA. There are many verifiable forms of documentation, which are detailed below:

Not Sure What is Accepted as Proof?

  • A residential utility bill
    Acceptable Documents Include: gas, electric, water, sewage, cable, home phone, internet, or propane oil delivery bill from the last 60 days, in the resident's name and service address.
  • Mortgage statement from the last 60 days or current signed annual lease agreement
  • Property tax statement

Any of the following are also acceptable if dated within the last 60 days and include your name and address:

  • Payroll stub
  • Rent receipt
  • Bank statement
  • Credit card statement
  • Letter from a government agency
  • If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the enrollment team at 800-382-6010 to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Important Documents

The documents below are recommended for enrollment in TECCA. Please submit or transfer information regarding the following:

Proof of immunization icon

Child’s Proof of Immunization

All TECCA students will be requested to provide evidence of Massachusetts' required immunizations on Commonwealth of Massachusetts official immunization form or on a health care provider/Health Department printout. Many Massachusetts medical offices and clinics can now update your child's immunization record automatically using an electronic immunization registry, known as the Massachusetts Immunization Information System.

These forms must be signed or stamped by a health care provider.

Not Sure What Immunizations Are Required?

Under the Massachusetts School Immunization Law, children are required to receive certain immunizations in order to attend public elementary and secondary schools. For more information about the required number of doses and the ages at which vaccines must be given, review the  Guide to Immunizations Required for Grades K–12.

Where Can I Get Immunizations for My Student?

Immunizations can be obtained from doctor’s offices, clinics, or hospitals. Pediatricians and family doctors or their nurses or medical assistants can give your student the shots they need to meet the requirements for school enrollment. In addition, some large chain pharmacies offer immunizations for older children and adults.

What if I Need Assistance Paying for Vaccines?

If you need assistance paying for shots/vaccinations, you may be able to get free or reduced immunizations through this program:

  • Healthy Families. Children enrolled in Massachusetts’ Healthy Families plan receive free immunizations with no copayment.
  • Vaccines for Children. Many private-practice Massachusetts doctors participate in the Vaccines for Children (VFC) program, which gives free vaccine to eligible children up to age 18. Ask your child’s doctor if his or her office offers VFC shots.
Immunization Exemptions

A student may be exempt from immunizations for medical reasons or for religious beliefs. An exemption may be temporary or permanent and may be for specific vaccines or all vaccines. The following documents can be submitted for students seeking an exemption from immunizations:

  • Medical Exemption: A licensed physician who feels a vaccine is not indicated for a student because of medical reasons should submit to the school (via the patient’s family as needed) a written statement documenting the medical exemption.
  • Religious Exemption: A parent or guardian may have a child exempted from required immunizations if immunization is contrary to his/her beliefs. Parents must submit a signed statement indicating that such immunization is contrary to their beliefs.

Caretaker Proof of Identity icon

Caretaker Proof of Identity

A copy of the enrolling parent/guardian's government-issued photo identification card which includes the parent/guardian's name and date of birth (e.g. driver's license, state ID, passport) may be requested upon enrollment.

Proof of Health Examination icon

Child's Proof of Health Examination

According to 105 CMR 200.100, "The school committee or board of health shall ensure that every student in the public schools be separately and carefully examined by a duly licensed physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant, as follows: within one year prior to entrance to school or within 30 days after school entry and at intervals of either three or four years thereafter. A student transferred from another school system shall be examined as an entering student. Health records transferred from the student's previous school may be used to determine compliance with this requirement."

Although not required for enrollment, having the documents below ready will help our academic placement services team efficiently place your student in the appropriate classes.

Academic Records icon

Prior Academic Records

All students who have previously attended public school, private school, or homeschool are eligible to enroll and will be requested to submit academic records for placement.

  • Report Card
    For students applying for grades K–9: Please submit a copy of the report card from the most recent school year.

    The following items should be included on the report card:
    • Student Name
    • Grade Level
    • School Year (example: 2020–21)
    • School Name
    • Grading Scale (example: 90–100%=A)
  • Unofficial Transcript
    For students applying for grades 10–12: Submit an unofficial transcript that includes the complete end-of-year grades from the prior school year and any academic documentation (such as a progress report/interim report, class schedule, or marking period/semester report card) issued for the current school year. Additional documentation may be requested for placement.

    The following items should be included on the unofficial transcript:
    • Student Name
    • Grade Level
    • School Year (example: 2020–21)
    • School Name
    • Grading Scale (example: 90–100%=A)
    • Credits Earned
Not Sure How to Get Your Child’s Report Card or Transcript?

  • Contact your student's previous school and request the document, providing them with the information outlined above, OR contact your school's district office with the request.

If after attempting these steps you still cannot obtain your student's report card or transcript, please contact the academic placement services team at 800-382-6010 to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Have Your Child(ren) Been Formerly Homeschooled?

  • Prior Academic History Form
    For homeschooled students in grades K–12: Complete the Prior Academic History Form indicating what courses were completed through a homeschool curriculum. This form will be available to you in Connexus.

Other Documents for Special Circumstances

Though not applicable to all families, please submit the documentation requested if the information below is specific to your student.

Other Documents icon

Other Documentation

You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:

  • Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.
  • State Testing Documentation: If your student is applying for 12th grade, the English language arts, math, and science portions of the state assessment is used for promotion criteria and will be reviewed by a school counselor during the course placement process. Please submit a copy of the results to expedite your student’s course placement.

Ready to Enroll?

Once you have all of the required documentation (outlined above), you are ready to proceed with enrollment in TEC Connections Academy Commonwealth Virtual School.

Problems or Questions?

If you have any concerns or questions, our enrollment team is here to help. Please call us at 800-382-6010.

TEC Connections Academy Commonwealth Virtual School (TECCA) admits students and conducts all educational programs, activities, and employment practices without discrimination on the basis of sex, race, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, creed, sexual orientation, disability, or any other legally protected classification.