A boy and a girl work together on a laptop

Iowa Connections Academy Online School Enrollment Checklist for the 2020-21 School Year

Thank you for considering Iowa Connections Academy for your child's education. Many families have found our online school program to be a better fit for their students. The information on this page will help you learn how to sign up for online school.

Get Prepared icon

Get Prepared for Enrollment

Do you have everything you need? Because Connections Academy is a public school, parents must submit state-required information and documentation for each student. You will save time and enrollment will go more smoothly if you are prepared!

Use the Enrollment Checklist below to gather the documents you will need. The checklist lists your state's requirements, plus tips to help you find documents you may not have. Once you have your documents ready, it’s easy to create an account and complete the enrollment forms in Connexus®, our online system.

Eligibility Requirements

You must meet specific state and program requirements to attend Iowa Connections Academy. Student eligibility requirements in Iowa are determined by the Iowa State Board of Education. Before enrolling, review the eligibility requirements carefully to determine whether your student(s) is eligible to participate in grades K–12.

Students who are currently suspended or expelled from their local school or district are not eligible to enroll.

What Documents to Have Ready

After submitting the Iowa Open Enrollment Application, you are ready to begin the Iowa Connections Academy enrollment process. Please have the following documents available and ready to upload to Connexus:

Required Documents

The documents below are required for enrollment in Iowa Connections Academy. Please submit or transfer information from the following:

Proof of age icon

Child's Proof of Age

A copy of one of the following documents must be provided for every student to verify age eligibility.

  • U.S. Passport
  • Date of birth affidavit
  • Hospital certificate
  • Custody documentation
  • Military ID or Driver’s License
  • Adoption record

As a reminder, the age eligibility is as follows:

  • Kindergarten: Any student enrolling in kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before September 15 in the school year for which he or she is enrolling.
  • First grade: Any student enrolling in first grade must be six (6) years old on or before September 15 in the school year for which he or she is enrolling.
  • Maximum Age: Students can complete the school year in which they turn 21. Any student who turns twenty-one (21) on or before the first day of school will not be eligible to enroll in Iowa Connections Academy.

To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of one of these official documents along with your enrollment documents.

Not Sure Where to Get That?

Proof of residence icon

Proof of Residence (1 form)

You must reside in the State of Iowa and provide ONE acceptable proof of residency to be eligible for enrollment in Iowa Connections Academy. You can find out what you need below:

Not Sure What is Accepted as Proof?

  • A residential utility bill (gas, electric, water, sewage, cable, home phone, or internet) from the last 60 days, in the resident's name and service address
  • Mortgage statement from the last 60 days or current annual lease agreement
  • Property tax statement
  • Valid Iowa driver's license or state ID
  • Payroll stub from the last 60 days
  • W-2 form showing your home address
  • Letter from a government agency from the last 60 days
  • If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the enrollment team at 800-382-6010 to discuss acceptable alternatives.

Proof of immunization icon

Child’s Proof of Immunization and Health Screenings

All Iowa Connections Academy students must provide evidence of their immunizations and health screenings, as required by the State of Iowa, to be eligible for enrollment.

Not Sure What Immunizations Are Required?

  • Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) Certificate of Immunization
  • Provisional Certificate of Immunization
    A Provisional Certificate of Immunization will be allowed for one of the following reasons:
    1. The applicant has "received at least one dose of each of the required vaccines, but has not completed all the required immunizations" or
    2. Is a transfer student from another school system,
    The student must provide a valid Provisional Certificate of Immunization.
  • Iowa Department of Public Health Certificate of Blood Lead Testing
    The IDPH requires all children entering kindergarten to have been tested for lead.
    • If your child was tested for lead poisoning at the age of two (which is done during a routine exam for well-care visits with your pediatrician), another test is not required. IDPH will let you and Iowa Connections Academy know if they do not have a record of the test.
    • Questions? Please refer to the Questions and Answers for Parents provided by the IDPH.
    For additional information, please contact:
    Bureau of Lead Poisoning Prevention
    515-281-3479 or 800-972-2026
  • Certificate of Dental Screening
    According to the Iowa Department of Public Health, all children newly enrolling in an Iowa elementary or high school are required to have a dental screening.
    The following are highlights of the school dental screening requirement:
    • The requirement applies to kindergarten and ninth grade students only.
    • A screening for kindergarten may be performed by a licensed dentist, dental hygienist, nurse, advanced registered nurse practitioner, or physician assistant.
    • A screening for ninth grade may be performed by a licensed dentist or dental hygienist only.
    • Screenings performed by out-of-state providers are allowed.
    • The Iowa Department of Public Health Certificate of Dental Screening is the only acceptable form.
    • A screening for kindergarten is valid from the age of three years up to four months after enrollment date.
    • A screening for ninth grade is valid from one year prior to enrollment to four months after enrollment date.
    Questions? For more information please review the FAQs provided by the IDPH and the IDPH’s Dental Screening flyer.
Where Can I Get Immunizations for My Student?

Immunizations can be obtained from doctor’s offices, clinics, or hospitals. Pediatricians and family doctors or their nurses or medical assistants can give your student the shots he or she needs to meet the requirements for school enrollment. In addition, some large chain pharmacies offer immunizations for older children and adults.

What if I Need Assistance Paying for Vaccines?

If you need assistance paying for shots/vaccinations, you may be able to get free or reduced immunizations through this program:

  • Vaccines for Children (VFC) program is a federally funded program that provides vaccines at no cost to children who might not otherwise be vaccinated because of inability to pay. Children who are eligible for VFC vaccines are entitled to receive pediatric vaccines that are recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.
Immunization Exemptions

Important Documents

Academic Records icon

Prior Academic Records

All students who have previously attended public school, private school, or homeschool are eligible to enroll and will be requested to submit academic records for placement.

  • Report Card
    For students applying for grades K–9: Please submit a copy of the report card from the most recent school year.

    The following items should be included on the report card:
    • Student Name
    • Grade Level
    • School Year (example: 2019–20)
    • School Name
    • Grading Scale (example: 90–100%=A)
  • Unofficial Transcript
    For students applying for grades 10–12: Submit an unofficial transcript that includes the complete end-of-year grades from the current school year and any academic documentation (such as a progress report/interim report, class schedule, or marking period/semester report card) issued for the prior school year. Additional documentation may be requested for placement.

    The following items should be included on the unofficial transcript:

    • Student Name
    • Grade Level
    • School Year (example: 2019–20)
    • School Name
    • Grading Scale (example: 90–100%=A)
    • Credits Earned
  • Not Sure How to Get Your Child’s Report Card or Transcript?

    • Contact your student's previous school and request the document, providing them with the information outlined above, OR contact your school's district office with the request.

    If after attempting these steps you still cannot obtain your student's report card or transcript, please contact the academic placement services team at 800-382-6010 to discuss acceptable alternatives.

    Have Your Child(ren) Been Formerly Homeschooled?

    • Prior Academic History Form
      For homeschooled students in grades K–12: Complete the Prior Academic History Form indicating what courses were completed through a homeschool curriculum. This form will be available to you in Connexus.

Other Documents for Special Circumstances

Though not applicable to all families, please submit the documentation requested if the information below is specific to your student.

Other Documents icon

Other Documentation

You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:

  • Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.
  • In the state of Iowa, the receiving district (CAM Community School District) and AEA (Green Hills) along with the sending district and AEA must review the open enrollment application of all student eligible for special education services to determine if the student’s needs can be met at Iowa Connections Academy and CAM Community School District. Additional information may be requested in preparation for this review process.

Ready to Enroll?

Once you have all of the required documentation (outlined above), you are ready to proceed with enrollment in Iowa Connections Academy.

Problems or Questions?

If you have any concerns or questions about how to enroll or use our Iowa online school enrollment checklist, our enrollment team is here to help. Please call us at 800-382-6010.

Iowa Connections Academy admits students and conducts all educational programs, activities, and employment practices without discrimination on the basis of sex, race, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, creed, sexual orientation, disability, or any other legally protected classification.