Florida Virtual School Eligibility Requirements for the 2018-19 School Year
To attend Florida Connections Academy (FCA), you must meet certain program and state requirements determined by Florida state laws. Prior to enrollment, review the eligibility requirements closely to be sure your student is eligible to take part in our program for grades K–8*.
Note: Students who are currently expelled or suspended from their local school or district may not be eligible to enroll.
- Kindergarten: Students enrolling in the kindergarten program must be five (5) years old on or before September 1 of the year in which they are enrolling.
- First Grade: Students enrolling in first grade should be six (6) years old on or before September 1 of the year in which they are enrolling.
- Maximum Age: Students turning nineteen (19) years old on or before September 1 are not eligible to enroll at FCA. Special education students turning twenty-one (21) years old on or before September 1 are also ineligible for enrollment.
Every student hoping to enroll in our virtual school must provide a copy of one of the following documents for age verification. Provide a copy of the document of your choosing with your enrollment document to help avoid delays.
- Official birth certificate
- Adoption record
- Baptismal papers
- Custody documentation
To be eligible for enrollment at FCA, students must reside within the state of Florida. Proof of residency is required prior to enrollment.
Submission of a copy of one of the following documents is required to prove legal residency. If you do not have access to any of these, you can contact the enrollment team to learn about other possible acceptable alternatives.
- Gas, water, or electric bill with your name and service address from the last 60 days
- Mortgage statement from the last 60 days or annual lease agreement
- Current property tax statement
Public school students are required to submit the DH 680 Florida Certificate of Immunization, or “Blue Card,” as proof of immunization. If you do not have a copy of this form, you can submit your immunization record to your healthcare provider or county health department to have your child’s immunization history transferred to the DH 680 form.
Medical and Religious Exemption
A student may be exempt from immunizations for medical and religious belief reasons. The following documents must be submitted for students seeking an exemption from immunizations:
- Medical Exemption: A Permanent Medical Exemption, documented on the Form DH 680, can be granted if a child cannot be fully immunized due to medical reasons. In this case, the child's physician must state in writing, the reasons for exemption based on valid clinical reasoning or evidence.
- Religious Exemption: An exemption many be issued if immunizations are in conflict with the religious tenets and practices of the child's parent or guardian. A request for a religious exemption from immunization requirements must be presented to the facility/school on the Department of Health’s Religious Exemption From Immunization form (DH 681 Form).
- Temporary Medical Exemption: A Temporary Medical Exemption (TME), documented on the Form DH 680, Florida Certification of Immunization, may be granted for those who are in the process of completing any necessary immunizations.
Prior Public Schooling Requirements
Students with previous attendance at private school, public school, or homeschool are eligible for enrollment.
If any of the following circumstances apply to your student, you may be required to provide further documentation:
- Custody order: Submit a copy of the court order showing your legal guardianship if applicable.
- Health Examination: Students who are making their initial entry into a Florida school must present a record of a physical examination completed within the past 12 months. Although a specific form is not required, it is recommended that Florida's standardized School Entry Exam form (DH 3040) be used to document completion of a physical examination. It must be completed by a health care provider licensed to perform physical examinations. For students transferring to a Florida school, a comparable form from another state would be acceptable, if completed within one (1) year.
Return to Florida Connections Academy Enrollment Instructions