Florida Virtual School Eligibility Requirements for the 2018-19 School Year
You must meet specific state and program requirements to attend Florida Connections Academy (FCA). Student eligibility requirements are determined by Florida state laws. Before enrolling, review the following eligibility requirements carefully to determine whether your student(s) is eligible to participate in FCA for grades K–8*.
Note: Students who are currently expelled or suspended from their local school or district may not be eligible to enroll.
- Kindergarten: Any student enrolling in kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which they are enrolling.
- First Grade: Any student enrolling in 1st grade must be six (6) years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which they are enrolling.
- Maximum Age: Any student who turns twenty-two (22) years old on or before the first day of school will not be eligible to enroll in Florida Connections Academy.
A copy of one of the following documents must be provided for every student to verify age eligibility. To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of this document along with your enrollment documents.
- Official birth certificate
- Baptismal Papers
- Custody Documentation
- Adoption Record
You must reside within the state of Florida and provide acceptable proof of residency to be eligible for enrollment.
A copy of one of the following documents must be provided to verify your legal residence. If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the enrollment team to discuss acceptable alternatives.
- Gas, electric, or water bill from the last 60 days that includes your name and service address
- Mortgage statement from the last 60 days or annual lease agreement
- Current property tax statement
Public school students are required to submit the DH 680 Florida Certificate of Immunization, or “Blue Card,” as proof of immunization. If you do not have a copy of this form, you can submit your immunization record to your healthcare provider or county health department to have your child’s immunization history transferred to the DH 680 form.
Medical and Religious Exemption
A student may be exempt from immunizations for medical and religious belief reasons. The following documents must be submitted for students seeking an exemption from immunizations:
- Medical Exemption: A Permanent Medical Exemption, documented on the Form DH 680, can be granted if a child cannot be fully immunized due to medical reasons. In this case, the child's physician must state in writing, the reasons for exemption based on valid clinical reasoning or evidence.
- Religious Exemption: An exemption many be issued if immunizations are in conflict with the religious tenets and practices of the child's parent or guardian. A request for a religious exemption from immunization requirements must be presented to the facility/school on the Department of Health’s Religious Exemption From Immunization form (DH 681 Form).
- Temporary Medical Exemption: A Temporary Medical Exemption (TME), documented on the Form DH 680, Florida Certification of Immunization, may be granted for those who are in the process of completing any necessary immunizations.
Prior Public Schooling Requirements
All students who have previously attended public school, private school, or homeschool are eligible to enroll.
You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:
- Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.
- Health Examination: Students who are making their initial entry into a Florida school must present a record of a physical examination completed within the past 12 months. Although a specific form is not required, it is recommended that Florida's standardized School Entry Exam form (DH 3040) be used to document completion of a physical examination. It must be completed by a health care provider licensed to perform physical examinations. For students transferring to a Florida school, a comparable form from another state would be acceptable, if completed within one (1) year.
Return to Florida Connections Academy Enrollment Instructions