Florida Connections Academy Enrollment Checklist for the 2018-19 School Year

We’re happy you’re considering Florida Connections Academy for your student’s education. Our virtual school program has proven to be a good fit for many students and their families. You can find more information to help you prepare for enrollment on this page.

Get Prepared icon

Get Prepared for Enrollment Information

Do you have everything you need? Parents must submit state-required documentation and information because Connections Academy is a public school program, so make sure you have the necessary paperwork prior to starting enrollment.

The Enrollment Checklist below has everything you’ll need to have listed on it, including state requirements, in addition to tips to help you find anything you might need. Creating an account and completing enrollment through Connexus®, is simple once you have your documents in order.

What Documents to Have Ready

Please have the following documents available when you are ready to begin the enrollment process:

Required Documents
These documents are required for enrollment at Florida Connections Academy (FCA). Please make sure you have the following for submission:

Proof of age icon

Child's Proof of Age

A copy of one of the following documents must be provided for every student to verify age eligibility:

  • Official birth certificate
  • Adoption record
  • Passport
  • Custody Documentation
  • Baptismal Papers

To help avoid delays, be sure to submit a copy of one of these official documents with all other enrollment paperwork. If you do not have access to any of these documents, please contact the enrollment team at 800-382-6010 to learn about possible alternatives.

Not Sure Where to Get That?

Remember, our age eligibility is as follows:

  • Kindergarten: Students enrolling in the kindergarten program must be five (5) years old on or before September 1 of the year in which they are enrolling.
  • First Grade: Students enrolling in first grade should be six (6) years old on or before September 1 of the year in which they are enrolling.
  • Maximum Age: Any student who is twenty-two (22) years old on or before the first day of school will not be eligible to enroll in Florida Connections Academy.

Proof of residence icon

Proof of Residence (1 form)

For students to be eligible for enrollment at Florida Connections Academy, the Florida State Department of Education requires them to reside within the state and provide ONE acceptable proof of residency. There are several options that can serve as proof of residency, as noted below.

Not Sure What is Accepted as Proof?

  • Gas, electric, or water bill with your name and service address dated within the past 60 days
  • Mortgage statement dated within the last 60 days or an annual lease agreement form
  • Current property tax statement

Proof of immunization icon

Child’s Proof of Immunization and Health Examination

Public school students are required to present the Florida Certification of Immunization, Form DH 680, or “Blue Card,” as proof of immunization. The "Blue Card" (Form DH 680), must be used to document the immunizations required for entry and attendance in Florida schools.

These forms are not available to the public and must be completed by a Florida physician or a Florida county health department. If you do not have a copy of this form, you can submit your immunization record to your health care provider or county health department to have your child’s immunization history transferred to the DH 680 form.

If you are a Florida resident and your student has received immunizations in Florida, you can retrieve your child's DH 680 record, which contains the immunizations needed to attend Florida schools, through Florida SHOTS (State Health Online Tracking System) Florida's statewide, computerized immunization registry. Review the FAQs on the Florida Department of Health website for instructions to access and print a copy of your child's DH 680 records.

If you are moving to Florida it is recommended that parents/guardians obtain a copy of the student's complete immunization history before leaving the current state of residence. The county health department that serves the area where the child will be residing will need this information.

Not Sure What Immunizations Are Required?

For a complete listing of immunizations required by the Florida Department of Health, view the "Latest Immunization Requirements" webpage.

Where Can I Get Immunizations for My Student?

Immunizations can be obtained from doctor’s offices, clinics, or hospitals. Pediatricians and family doctors or their nurses or medical assistants can give your student the shots they need to meet the requirements for school enrollment. In addition, some large chain pharmacies offer immunizations for older children and adults.

Contact your county health department to find the clinic location closest to the child's home or for additional information. To find a local clinic in Florida, please view the "Site Services" webpage developed by the Florida Department of Health.

What if I Need Assistance Paying for Vaccines?

If you need assistance paying for shots/vaccinations, you may be able to get free or reduced immunizations through this program:

  • Vaccines for Children (VFC) program is a federally funded program that provides vaccines at no cost to children who might not otherwise be vaccinated because of inability to pay. Children who are eligible for VFC vaccines are entitled to receive pediatric vaccines that are recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.
Immunization Exemptions

A student may be exempt from immunizations for medical reasons or religious beliefs. Students claiming a medical or religious exemption must submit an official Florida exemption form. More information on exemptions and their requirements is outlined below.

  • Medical Exemption: A Permanent Medical Exemption, documented on the Form DH 680, can be granted if a child cannot be fully immunized due to medical reasons. In this case, the child's physician must state in writing, the reasons for exemption based on valid clinical reasoning or evidence. A request for a medical exemption from immunization requirements must be presented to the facility/school on the Department of Health’s Permanent Medical Exemption From Immunization form (DH 680 Form).
  • Religious Beliefs:An exemption many be issued if immunizations are in conflict with the religious tenets and practices of the child's parent or guardian. This exemption is issued by a County Health Department (CHD) and based on established religious beliefs or practices only. A request for a religious exemption from immunization requirements must be presented to the facility/school on the Department of Health’s Religious Exemption From Immunization form (DH 681 Form).
  • Temporary Medical Exemption:A Temporary Medical Exemption (TME), documented on the Form DH 680, Florida Certification of Immunization, may be granted for those who are in the process of completing any necessary immunizations. The TME requires an expiration date after which the exemption is no longer valid, and the immunizations must be completed before or at that time.

Health Examinations

Students who are making their initial entry into a Florida school must present a record of a physical examination completed within the past 12 months. Although a specific form is not required, it is recommended that Florida's standardized School Entry Exam form (DH 3040) be used to document completion of a physical examination. It must be completed by a health care provider licensed to perform physical examinations. For students transferring to a Florida school, a comparable form from another state would be acceptable, if completed within one (1) year.

Other Documents for Special Circumstances

If any of the following circumstances apply to your student, please provide additional documentation:

Other Documents icon

Other Documentation

You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:

  • Custody Order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.

Ready to Enroll?

Once you have all of the required documentation (outlined above), you are ready to proceed with enrollment in our K–8 virtual school Florida Connections Academy.

Problems or Questions?

If you have any concerns or questions about enrollment in Florida Connections Academy, contact our enrollment team for additional help. Please call us at 855-741-5127.

Florida Connections Academy admits students and conducts all educational programs, activities, and employment practices without discrimination on the basis of sex, race, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, creed, sexual orientation, disability, or any other legally protected classification.