Connections Education Trademark Usage Guidelines
Last Updated: August 2, 2011
These Trademark Usage Guidelines (the "Guidelines") set forth the rules for using or referring to the trademarks, service marks, trade names and trade dress owned by Connections Education LLC ("Connections"). For the purposes of these Guidelines, "Connections Trademark(s)" shall include all registered or unregistered trademarks, service marks and trade dress (such as words, names, symbols, devices, slogans, appearance, packaging, or combination of these) and trade names owned by Connections, including but not limited to the trademarks and service marks listed on the
Connections Trademark List. These Guidelines apply to Connections authorized agents and re-sellers, schools, customers, business partners, social media users, and all other parties wishing to use the Connections Trademarks for any purpose and in all mediums, including but not limited to print materials, web sites, social media sites, or any other medium.
Connections considers the Connections Trademarks to be among its most valuable intellectual property assets. The goodwill derived from using the Connections Trademarks exclusively inures to the benefit of and belongs to Connections. As such, Connections intends to take all appropriate measures to preserve the strength of and retain its exclusive rights to use its marks. Except for the limited right to use as expressly permitted under these Guidelines, no other rights of any kind are granted hereunder, by implication or otherwise. Connections asks that you assist us by following these Guidelines. If you have any questions about the Guidelines, please direct them to
In the event of a conflict between these Guidelines and a written agreement with Connections, the written agreement will take precedence over these Guidelines to the extent the Guidelines are inconsistent with the written agreement. Connections reserves the right in its sole discretion to modify these Guidelines at any time and the updated Guidelines will be effective when Connections posts the revised Guidelines on Connections’ website at www.connectionsacademy.com. Any revised Guidelines will supersede all previous versions.
Authorized Uses of Connections Trademarks
- Use to Refer to Connections’ Products or Services. With the exception of Connections’ Design Marks (which include the Miscellaneous Design, the Connections Education & Design, LEAP Longitudinal Evaluation of Academic Progress & Design, and other design marks owned by Connections) (the use of which must be expressly authorized and approved by Connections), you generally may use Connections Trademarks to refer to Connections’ products or services in advertising, promotional, and sales materials, assuming that you have the necessary authority to sell or promote Connections’ products or services (e.g. authorized agent, re-seller, or other business partner).
- Use in Publications, the Internet and in Social Media. You may refer to or use Connections Trademarks (other than Design Marks the use of which must be expressly authorized and approved by Connections) when discussing Connections’ products or services in publications and on web sites or social media – including but not limited to social networks, blogs, wikis, virtual worlds, or any other social media – that serve only as noncommercial electronic informational forums, provided you otherwise comply with these Guidelines. You cannot make any representations or claims about Connections that Connections has not authorized, or imply or suggest an affiliation or endorsement of the social media page by Connections. Any use of Connections Trademarks or reference to Connections Education that may give the appearance of a sponsorship, affiliation or endorsement by Connections Education should include the following disclaimer image (Use the code below to embed the image on your website.) :
Or in the alternative if unable to add the above, then the following language:
"This is not a Connections Education LLC operated, sponsored or affiliated site. The opinions, representations and actions of any party under this site are not under the control of, and do not reflect those of, Connections Education LLC, its affiliates, officers, directors, employees or contractors.”
- Use Connections Trademarks to Indicate a Relationship to Connections Products or Services. You may indicate the relationship of your products and services to Connections’ products or services by using an accurate referential phrase in connection with your product or service provided that: (a) the Connections Trademark appears less prominent than the product or service name; (b) the Connections Trademark is not a part of or incorporated in your product or service name; and (c) the referential phrase is accurate and complies with the requirements set forth in these Guidelines and any agreement with Connections.
Prohibited Uses of Connections Trademarks
- Do Not Use Connections Trademarks in the Name of Your Company, Products, or Services, or as a Domain Name or in the Name of a Social Media Page or Website. Unless in accordance with an agreement with or express written consent from Connections, you may not use or register in any jurisdiction, whether foreign or domestic, any Connections Trademark as all or part of your company, product, or service name in a manner that is likely to create confusion as to Connections’ sponsorship, affiliation or endorsement of your company, product, or service, or that may dilute the Connections Trademarks. Similarly, you may not register in any jurisdiction, whether domestic or foreign, a domain name or use as part of the name of a social media page or site any Connections Trademark in a manner that is likely to create confusion as to Connections’ sponsorship, affiliation or endorsement of your company, product, or service. (see above on disclaimer image and language to be used).
- Do Not Use Connections Trademarks in any Manner that Implies Ownership. Your use of Connections Trademarks may not imply ownership by any party other than Connections.
- Do Not Use Connections Design Marks Without Permission. You may not use any Connections Design Marks unless you have an agreement with or express written consent from Connections authorizing such use and any use must be strictly in accordance with the permission granted.
- Do Not Use Connections Trademarks Outside the United States. Use of Connections Trademarks is limited to the United States and United States territories and on the World Wide Web. Except with the prior written approval of Connections and with respect to lawfully enrolled students outside the United States, you may not use Connections Trademarks in any jurisdiction throughout the world except for the United States.
- Do Not Use Connections Trademarks in False or Misleading Advertising. Advertising for Connections or its products or services offered under the Connections Trademarks must not be false or misleading in any way and must not be in violation of any applicable law, municipal ordinance, or administrative agency regulation of any State or country.
- Do Not Use Connections Trademarks in Objectionable Material. You may not use Connections Trademarks on or in connection with any defamatory, scandalous, pornographic, or other objectionable materials of any sort.
- Do Not Use Connections Trademarks to Disparage Connections. You may not use Connections Trademarks to disparage Connections, its products or services, or in a manner that, in Connections’ reasonable judgment, may diminish or otherwise damage the reputation of Connections or the goodwill in the Connections Trademarks.
- Endorsement or Sponsorship. You may not use any Connections Trademarks in a manner that would imply Connections’ affiliation with or endorsement, sponsorship, or support of a third party product, service, web site or social media page.
- Merchandise Items. You may not manufacture, advertise, sell or give-away merchandise items, such as T-shirts and mugs, bearing any Connections Trademark except pursuant to an express written agreement with Connections.
- Connections’ Trade Dress: You may not imitate the distinctive Connections packaging, web site design and/or layout, trademark designs, or typefaces.
Rules for Proper Usage of Connections Trademarks
Proper usage of Connections Trademarks is important for their continued protection. Proper usage aids consumers who depend upon Connections’ products and services and helps prevent Connections Trademarks from losing their distinctiveness and becoming generic. Licensees of Connections Trademarks may have different rules of usage set forth in their license agreement, in which case Licensees should follow those guidelines.
- Set Connections Trademarks Apart from Surrounding Text. When a Connections Trademark is used in a non-stylized form, such as in the body text of an advertisement or publication, it should be set apart and distinguished from the other words in the text. In order to do this, the Connections Trademark may be rendered in boldface type, italics, capital letters, underscored, or set in quotation marks.
- Alteration of Connections Trademarks. Do not alter Connections Trademarks in any manner by changing their proportion, color or font, or removing trademark symbols.
- Use Connections Trademarks as Adjectives. Trademarks are adjectives and should be followed by the generic term they modify. Never use a trademark as a noun, a verb, or in the possessive form.
- Improper Use: My student completed a LiveLesson® today.
- Proper Use: My student participated in a LiveLesson® session today.
- Do Not Abbreviate or Alter the Spelling of Connections Trademarks. You should not vary the appearance of Connections Trademarks by abbreviating them, incorporating them into acronyms, changing their spelling, or using improper capitalization. The Connections Trademark List provides the proper spelling and capitalization for each trademark.
- Use The Proper Trademark Symbol. A Connections Trademark should appear with the proper trademark symbol, which can be found on the Connections Trademark List. In written materials, the appropriate symbol must be used with the first or most prominent appearance of the Connections Trademark in headlines and the first time the Connections Trademark appears in body text. This appropriate symbol also should be used on each subsequent page if the topic is different or if the pages can be separated and distributed independently. If the materials, product packaging, social media page or web page includes a properly licensed Connections Design Mark, which already includes the appropriate trademark symbol, it is not necessary to include a trademark symbol after the word "Connections" in the text in that material, product packaging, social media page or Web page.
- Adherence to Quality Standards. The Connections Trademarks should be used only in the form listed on the Trademark List. If you have written permission from Connections to use a Design Mark, it must always be used in the colors specified on the Trademark List unless otherwise approved by Connections.
- Use the Proper Trademark Attribution Statement. All marketing collateral, advertisements, product packaging, web pages, and publications that include Connections Trademarks also must include the proper trademark attribution statement crediting ownership of the Connections Trademarks to Connections Education LLC. Typically, the attribution statement is displayed at the end of the material, in the footer of the document, or on the back of the package. This requirement will not apply in situations where use of the attribution notice is not practical due to space limitations, such as on small promotional items including but not limited to note pads, magnets, pens, pencils and other similar items. The correct trademark attribution statement is:
[Include a list of Connections Education trademarks actually used] are trademarks of Connections Education LLC. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners. All rights reserved. Any use of any Connections marks must comply with the Trademark Usage Guidelines published by Connections Education LLC, a copy of which can be found on the company's website.
Usage Rules for Connections as a Trade Name
"Connections" functions not only as a trademark mark and service mark identifying goods and services offered by Connections but also as a trade name or company name referring to Connections Education LLC. Trade names are nouns and, therefore, should not be followed by a generic descriptor and may be used in the possessive form. When used as a trade name, "Connections" should not be followed by a trademark symbol. Within documents, the first reference to the trade or company name should be "Connections Education LLC. "Connections Education" or "Connections" can be used for subsequent references.
Misuse of Connections Trademarks by Others
If you learn of any uses of any trademarks that are confusingly similar to the Connections Trademarks, please notify Connections by sending an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Similarly, if you become aware of any use of a Connections Trademark that violates any of the rules described above, including failure to identify Connections Trademarks as belonging to Connections Education LLC, please notify us at email@example.com. If possible, please provide a copy of the article or other medium in which the trademark violation appeared.