Virtual School Eligibility Requirements
You must meet specific state and program requirements to attend South Carolina Connections Academy. Student eligibility requirements in South Carolina are determined by South Carolina law and by the South Carolina Public Charter School District, which is the authorizing body for South Carolina Connections Academy. Before enrolling, review the following virtual school eligibility requirements carefully to determine whether your student(s) is eligible to participate in grades K–12.
Note: Students who are currently expelled from school, are up for expulsion, or are assigned to an alternative school in place of expulsion are not eligible to enroll at South Carolina Connections Academy. Also, students who have ten (10) or more unexcused absences or who have been out of school or homeschool for ten (10) days are not eligible to enroll.
- Kindergarten: Any student enrolling in kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before September 1 in the school year in which they are enrolling or have substantially initiated a public school kindergarten program in another state that has a different attendance age requirement than South Carolina.
- First Grade: Any student enrolling in first grade must be six (6) years old on or before September 1 in the year in which they are enrolling, or have substantially initiated a first grade program in another state that has a different attendance age requirement from South Carolina. Students must have completed a full year of Kindergarten (in any state) in order to be eligible for first grade.
A birth certificate copy must be provided for every student to verify age eligibility. To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of the birth certificate along with your enrollment documents.
You must reside in the state of South Carolina and provide acceptable proof of residency to be eligible for enrollment in South Carolina Connections Academy.
A copy of one of the following documents must be provided to verify your legal residence. If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the enrollment team to discuss acceptable alternatives:
- Gas, electric, or water bill from the last 60 days that includes your name and service address
- Mortgage statement from the last 60 days or annual lease agreement
- South Carolina driver's license
All South Carolina Connections Academy students must provide evidence of their immunizations or medical exemption with a copy of the South Carolina Certificate of Immunization (DHEC Form 1148 or 2740) or a Religious Exemption (DHEC Form 1126) to enroll. The DHEC Form 1148 or 2740 must be completed and signed by a health care provider.
See the South Carolina school immunization requirements
Prior Public Schooling Limitations
All students who have previously attended public school, private school, or homeschool are eligible to enroll.
You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:
Return to South Carolina Connections Academy Enrollment Instructions
- Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.