Customized Learning for Online Home Education
We know that students learn best when lessons are tailored to their individual interests, strengths and challenges. That’s why customized learning is fundamental at OCA—where every type of student has the opportunity to succeed.
Personalized Learning Process
At OCA, students, teachers, and Learning Coaches are all partners in the Personalized Performance Learning® (PPL) approach. Together we develop an instruction plan tailored to each student’s academic abilities. We adjust the program and goals as needed to ensure the student is learning and growing at OCA, monitoring that plan and the student’s progress throughout the school year. Geared to each student’s success, the PPL includes:
- Detailed Review of Student Background and Learning Styles. Teachers, Learning Coaches, and students discuss student strengths, skill deficiencies, and previous school performance. A detailed student questionnaire helps us identify individual learning styles and the most effective approaches for accommodating those styles.
- Placement and Course Selection; Goal Setting. Using information collected during the review process, counselors and staff help families select the courses most appropriate to the student’s individual academic abilities. With the academic schedule in place, teachers and Learning Coaches then work together to set goals for the students with achievable milestones throughout the year.
- Regular Communication. At the start of school, Learning Coaches and teachers establish a regular communication schedule—at least once every 2 weeks or more—depending on the needs of the student.
- Performance Tracking. In grades K–8, students complete the Longitudinal Evaluation of Academic Progress® (LEAP) to identify areas of academic strength and need. Taken multiple times during the school year, the test helps us modify learning goals and adapt new approaches where needed.
- Schedule Modifications and Electives (K–8). Once the school year gets started, teachers help personalize the learning schedule. They inquire about the student's daily routines and make adjustments to the student's online learning schedule as necessary.
Special Programs Enhance Customized Learning
OCA offers several customized learning programs in Ohio to ensure students and families get the most out of this highly individualized learning process, including:
- Study Table, an online group tutoring program where teachers in each subject area offer help to students.
- Math Open Sessions, a weekly LiveLesson® session where all math teachers are available to answer student questions.
We also offer a unique instruction program designed for gifted and talented students. Students in grades 3 through 8 may be enrolled in specially designated gifted courses in language arts and mathematics. High school students benefit from rigorous college preparatory curriculum that provides an opportunity for students to participate in Honors and Advanced Placement courses.