Child’s Proof of Immunization
All Michigan Connections Academy students must provide evidence of their immunizations on one of the following:
- Official Michigan state immunization form
- Immunization booklet
- Official school records
- Connections Academy Immunization Form, which is a part of your enrollment documents available in Connexus
These forms must be signed or stamped by your health care provider. Only a local health department, doctor's office, or the Michigan Department of Community Health may print an official immunization record for your child.
Children born in Michigan from 1994 to the present are in the
Michigan Care Improvement Registry (MCIR). MCIR is a computerized shot record for Michiganders. For answers to many FAQs, please visit the MCIR website.
Not Sure What Immunizations Are Required?
Where Can I Get Immunizations for My Student?
Immunizations can be obtained from
your local health department, doctor’s offices, clinics, or hospitals. Pediatricians and family doctors or their nurses or medical assistants can give your student the shots he or she needs to meet the requirements for school enrollment. In addition, some large chain pharmacies offer immunizations for older children and adults.
What if I Need Assistance Paying for Vaccines?
If you need assistance paying for shots/vaccinations, you may be able to get free or reduced immunizations through the
Michigan Vaccines for Children Program:
- Vaccines for Children (VFC) program is a federally funded program that provides vaccines at no cost to children who might not otherwise be vaccinated because of inability to pay. Children who are eligible for VFC vaccines are entitled to receive pediatric vaccines that are recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.
A student may be exempt from immunizations for the following reasons: medical exemption, religious beliefs, or personal beliefs. Parents seeking immunization waivers in Michigan must have the immunization waiver certified by their local health department.
- Medical Exemption: A valid medical contraindication exists precluding the child from receiving the vaccine. A state of Michigan "Medical Contraindication" is required to be completed and signed by the child’s physician and shall state the contraindication(s), the vaccine(s) involved, and the time period during which the child is precluded from receiving the vaccine(s).
- Religious/Personal Exemption: The parents or guardians hold religious or philosophical beliefs which preclude receipt of a vaccination(s). A state of Michigan "Immunization Waiver" must be signed by the parent or guardian, with all information completely supplied, including the vaccines being waived. An updated waiver must be presented each year the child’s immunization status is reported.