Great Lakes Cyber Academy High School Curriculum
At Great Lakes Cyber Academy (GLCA), the online schooling for high school program combines the best online and offline resources from leading educational publishers and curriculum specialists to deliver comprehensive, high-quality accredited online education. With the best resources at their fingertips, GLCA high school students explore and master all required core subjects: language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies. GLCA also offers three flexible graduation pacing options for students to focus on personal interests—or accelerate studies and graduate early.
Online education is a natural fit for today’s teens. High school students have grown up with the Internet, and they use technology to connect with each other and their interests every day. Who better to take advantage of the benefits and possibilities of a free virtual high school program?
A 21st Century Online Curriculum for 21st Century Success
Our Michigan cyber high school curriculum is a highly effective alternative to a traditional public or homeschool curriculum. It’s designed to help students gain the knowledge and thinking skills they’ll need for life, work, and higher education. Structured lessons are blended with self-paced learning to ensure that each student reaches his or her full potential. These high school courses also develop skills in the important “four Cs” of 21st century learning:
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Creativity and innovation
At Great Lakes Cyber Academy in Michigan, the online high school curriculum is fine-tuned to launch each student into a successful future. While math, science, English, and social studies form the core of the curriculum, GLCA also offers a wide variety of online high school courses that provide a solid foundation for whatever path graduates choose: attending college or starting a career.
Free Online High School Courses in Michigan
- Core and Elective Courses: Our inclusive set of core online high school courses covers subjects in math, science, English, and social studies. We also offer many elective courses in areas such as foreign languages, digital technology, journalism, and art history.
- Honors and AP® Courses: Our Honors/AP online courses are particularly beneficial for college-bound students or any ambitious student who wishes to demonstrate mastery in a specific subject area.
- College Courses: Students may be able to take college courses while still in high school, simultaneously earning high school and college credit.
- NCAA-Approved Courses: Many Connections Academy core high school courses are approved by the NCAA Eligibility Center. View a list of currently approved courses.
Support and Guidance
GLCA online high school students work collaboratively with their counselors and Learning Coaches to develop a personal learning plan for academic progress and postsecondary planning. Every core subject is taught by highly qualified and certified teachers with expertise in their relevant content areas.
Preparing for Graduation and Beyond
To make sure that the graduating class of seniors are well prepared for the transition out of online high school, Connections Academy provides:
- A College Planning Club to help students develop a portfolio that focuses on elements sought by college admissions committees
- Access to a full-time, certified school counselor
- Assistance in creating a four-year academic plan
- College and career planning, including:
- Guidance in finding appropriate college or career opportunities
- College application process LiveLesson® online workshops, including information on local colleges/universities
- Financial aid and scholarship LiveLesson online workshops
- Free access to college admissions test preparation online courses and information about test dates, locations, etc.
- Official transcripts
- Additional extracurricular activities such as Student Advisory Council and Debate Club
We offer in-depth support to ensure that students understand the our cyber high school graduation requirements and are well prepared for life beyond high school.
Interacting in a Virtual Classroom
Student interaction is a critical part of the overall educational process. While most of the instruction supports anytime, anywhere learning, students also participate in a live online classroom environment through LiveLesson technology. This is also the technology students use to turn in homework assignments and securely track their own progress.