You must meet specific state and program requirements to attend Louisiana Connections Academy. Student eligibility requirements in Louisiana are determined by the Louisiana State Board of Education. Before enrolling, review the following eligibility requirements carefully to determine whether your student(s) is eligible to enroll. Louisiana Connections Academy does not accept students who are currently expelled from their local school or district.
Special Note on State Testing: All students seeking enrollment in fifth or ninth grade must have completed the state LEAP test and provide LEAP test scores to be eligible for enrollment. Students who have not completed LEAP testing will be ineligible for enrollment. Home schooled students who are interested in enrollment must contact their resident district to arrange for LEAP testing during the spring semester of the 2012–13 school year.
To be eligible to enroll in Louisiana Connections Academy:
- Kindergarten: Students enrolling in kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before September 30 in the school year for which they are applying.
- First grade: Students entering first grade must be six (6) years old on or before September 30 in the school year for which they are applying, and must have completed a full time kindergarten program or tested ready for first grade through the school placement test.
A copy of the student's official birth certificate must be provided to verify age eligibility. To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of your student’s official birth certificate along with your enrollment documents.
You must reside in the state of Louisiana and provide acceptable proof of residency to be eligible for enrollment in Louisiana Connections Academy. Students do not need to be withdrawn from their previous school prior to enrolling in Louisiana Connections Academy. Please complete the enrollment process and Louisiana Connections Academy will notify the student's previous district of the change in schools.
A copy of one of the following documents must be provided to verify your legal residence. If you do not have any of these documents, please contact the Enrollment Team to discuss acceptable alternatives.
- Gas, electric, or water bill from the last 60 days that includes your name and service address
- Mortgage statement from the last 60 days or signed lease agreement
- Rent receipt
- Property tax statement
- Voter registration card
- Valid Louisiana driver’s license
All Louisiana Connections Academy students must provide evidence of their immunizations to be eligible for enrollment.
Please submit one of the following:
- A print out from the LINKS (Louisiana Immunization Network for Kids Statewide) available from a physician’s office
- IMM-1 card obtained from the Louisiana Office of Public Health (OPH)/Immunization Program or other proof of immunization that includes dates of series with an authorized signature
- A certificate of immunization signed by a healthcare provider
Review Louisiana immunization requirements.
Medical and Personal Exemption
A student may be exempt from immunizations for medical and personal belief reasons. For a medical exemption, the caretaker of the student must submit a letter signed by the student’s physician. For a personal belief exemption, the caretaker of the student must submit a signed letter explaining their position.
Required Health Screenings
Louisiana State law requires vision and hearing screening for all students entering grades kindergarten, 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9. Caretakers of students entering these grades must provide the State of Louisiana School Entrance and General Health Exam form/LHSAA Medical History Evaluation to be eligible for enrollment in Louisiana Connections Academy. Page 3 of the form must be completed and signed by a licensed physician or a licensed physician’s assistant under the supervision of a licensed physician.
Prior Public Schooling Limitations
Home-schooled students must submit an approved Home Study Application from the Louisiana State Board of Education.
- Students entering first grade must have attended a full-day public or private kindergarten for a full academic year or satisfactorily pass academic readiness screening administered by Louisiana Connections Academy at the time of enrollment for first grade.
- All students in other grades who have previously attended public, private, or home school are eligible to enroll.
If it was not approved, the family must complete testing and will be reviewed by school administration to determine approval for enrollment.
You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:
- Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.
Return to Louisiana Connections Academy enrollment instructions.